Posted by Cathy Gowdy on Monday, November 16, 2015 at 07:41:09 :
San Rafael Independent
Tuesday, November 12, 1929
Woman Falls In Faint And Dies In Fire
Wife of Retired Banker Is Burned to Death in Mill Valley
Fire which had caused her night clothing to smoulder for a number of hours caused the death of Mrs. Sadie Hall, 50, wife of J. D. Hall, retired banker, at the boarding house of Mrs. Aileen W. Howard at 825 Throckmorton Avenue here some time early this morning. The woman was literally cooked in the smouldering blaze.
Mrs. Hall who with her nurse, Miss Dalina A. Bain, had been living at the Howard home, had retired at 9:30 last night instructing Miss Bain not to go to her until she was called. Not hearing from Mrs. Hall at eleven, Miss Bain entered the room and found her lying beside her bed with her heavy bathrobe a nearby chair and the floor smouldering and smoking. No flames had emerged from the fire which might have been burning for several hours, Deputy Coroner William Keaton, who was called to the scene, said.
Mrs. Hall who has been in ill health for the past three years has been partially paralyzed. She had been in the habit of smoking in bed and as fear had been felt on account of fire, a supply of water was kept in the room.
Her nurse told Keaton that she believed she had gotten out of bed to turn off the radio this morning some time and had fallen in a faint. A cigarette which she had in her hand is believed to have ignited her bath robe.
Mrs. Hallís husband who lived at the Colonial Hotel in San Francisco was notified after the body was brought to the parlors of Keaton and Dusel.
powered by SpudBoard