Posted by Marcia Wright on Monday, January 13, 2014 at 11:34:56 :
Rev G.A. Bernthal B. 9 July 1861 Frankenmuth, MI D 1931 SF.CA
Received BA at Ft Wayne, IN 1881
1884 received degree of DB from Concordia Seminary in St Louis, MO
President of CA and NV District of the German Missouri Synod
-from pg77 "The Lutheran Church and California" by Edward M. Stensrud.
Became minister of St Paulus on Mar13, 1902 (source SFCall p24 9 Mar
In 1890, the piece of property one hundred and twenty by one hundred
thirty-seven and a half feet at the corner of Eddy and Gough streets was
purchased for $35,000, and on February 11, 1894, the present church
building was dedicated, with a seating capacity of one thousand. In the
fire and earthquake of 1906, the church was slightly damaged. The fire
approached to a point within two blocks on the east (Van Ness avenue)
and within two blocks on the south (Golden Gate avenue). About one-half
of the church members lost their homes in the fire.
St. Paulus Church served as an emergency hospital, and during the two
months in which the church was used by the Red Cross and volunteer
physicians more than three thousand patients were provided with beds,
and more than ten thousand received medical attention in this building.
Jefferson Square, the refugee camp, adjoins the church.
source: San Francisco County Biographies ST. PAULUS EVANGELICAL
LUTHERAN CHURCH (excerpted from Byington, Lewis Francis, "History of San
Francisco 3 Vols", S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.,
Chicago, 1931. Vol. 3 Pages 197-200.)
Church fire in 1940 and 1995
Post a Followup
powered by SpudBoard