Chinese Immigration and Chinese in the United States,
Compiled by Waverly B. Lowell, National Archives and Records Administration, 1996
The Introduction to this 33 page booklet describes the laws that were passed between 1882 and 1943 that "curtailed immigration from China to the United States".
Chapters are devoted to:
Within each chapter is a list of records that were created by the agency discussed in that chapter. For each Regional Archives, the name, date and a description is given for each type of record that is held there pertaining to Chinese immigration. Differentiation is also made between microfilm and original records.
- District Courts of the United States (Record Group 21)
- Bureau of the Census (Record Group 29)
- U. S. Customs service (Record Group 36)
- Immigration and Naturalization Service (Record Group 85)
- Public Health Service (Record Group 90)
- United States Attorneys (Record Group 118)
- U. S. Courts of Appeals (Record Group 276)
- United States Marshals Service (Record Group 527)
Some sample records shown in the booklet contain the following important information:
These sample records dated as early as 1883 also have attached photographs.
- Current address in the United States
- Color Eyes
- Physical Peculiarities
- Statement of Family