History of Santa Clara County
San Jose and Santa Clara Activities During the Great European War--Liberty Loan, Red Cross, Y. M. C. A., Belgian Relief and Other Noteworthy Drives--The Men and Women Who Did the Work.
The part played by San Jose and the other towns in Santa Clara County in the Great European War was both patriotic and self-sacrificing. During the hurry and stress of the grave and arduous responsibilities of the occasion, when even the average, easy-going citizen was called upon to bear unusual burdens, no one realized that the activities in which they were engaged constituted the making of history. What the city and county did is realistically and finely told by Mrs. Edith Daley in her pamphlet written for the Santa Clara County Historical Society. From that labor of love the historian has compiled the following interesting facts:
On April 6, 1917, President Wilson signed the resolution of Congress declaring the "existence of a state of war" and asking that all the resources of the United States be "directed to prosecute hostilities against the German Government to a successful conclusion." On April 12, 1917, San Jose inaugurated the loyalty movement in California. On that day more than 10,000 loyal citizens led by City Manager Thomas H. Reed, marched through the city's streets while the Stars and Stripes waved above them and the bands played "Dixie" and "America"--and the thrilling "Marseillaise." That night in a great mass meeting in the high school auditorium hundreds unanimously pledged hearts and hands to the country's cause.
On May 3, 1917, the announcement was made that
the first offering of bonds under the finance law would be $2,000,000,000.
Liberty Loan issue, open to popular subscription at par; subscriptions
to be received until June 5; bonds to be dated July 1 and ready for delivery
then. Santa Clara County's quota
was about $2,000,000.
On May, 14, 1917, the details of the Liberty Loan were telegraphed all over the country. Officers' training camps opened. Men flocked to fill them. Pacifists were abroad in the land, their voices raised in protest against the country's war policy. The espionage measure was passed May 14. One began to hear the ominous words "slacker," "disloyalty," and "sedition." The old easy settled routine of things was sadly disturbed at the time of the beginning of the first Liberty Loan drive.
California was divided into two districts with the Tehachapi the dividing line and Los Angeles and San Francisco headquarters. The northern district was divided into sixteen sub-districts with a competent bond seller in charge of each. Before the real campaign started voluntary local bond subscriptions began to come in. The Knights Templar and Observatory Parlor of the Native Sons were the first fraternal organizations to buy bonds. Senator Frank H. Benson and Judge Urban A. Sontheimer are on record as having advocated the early purchase of Liberty Bonds by the Native Sons.
May 23, 1917, by telegraphic designation, the Secretary of the Treasury and A. Kains, Governor of the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, appointed a local committee for handling the campaign in Santa Clara County, particularly to receive bond subscriptions. The following men were named: John Brooke, vice-president Safe Deposit Bank, chairman; W. K. Beans, president of Bank of San Jose; W. E. Blauer, manager local branch of Bank of Italy; W. S. Clayton, president First National Bank; T. S. Montgomery, president Garden City Bank and Trust Company; Wilbur Edwards, president Security Savings Bank.
The opening of the Second Officers' Training Camp preceded the first bond drive. Very few San Joseans ever knew that the work of interviewing and examining all the applicants for shoulder straps and military titles was done by a working volunteer committee of three, W. S. Clayton, A. B. Post and V. J. LaMotte did this patriotic service, rejecting the men they considered unfit and sending the others to San Francisco for acceptance or rejection by the "higher powers."
The little old oak table in room 401 in the First National Bank building could unfold an interesting tale if it had a voice. Beside it the committee of three met the embryo officers and here also the real work of the first Liberty Bond drive had its beginning. On the evening of May 24, 1917, a few San Jose men gathered in this room to talk over the task that confronted the nation and the task that awaited them.
It was a poorly attended meeting. No extra chairs had to be brought in. Around the worn old table were W. S. Clayton, Dr. W. C. Bailey, John Kuster, E. K. Johnston, H. L. Baggerly, J. D. Farwell and perhaps one or two others whose names are forgotten. No records were kept. Only the little room and the oak table can tell the whole story. It was an earnest gathering and the power generated here won a smashing victory in bonds with which to back up the boys.
This office had no telephone so on May 26 these volunteers moved into rooms 701-702. This was E. N. Richmond's office and he donated its use during the entire period of the first and second bond drives. In the new headquarters there was another small but significant meeting on the evening of "moving day," May 26, 1917. At this memorable time a complete working committee was named. John D. Kuster, manager of the Pacific Gas and Electric Company was made county chairman and Dr. W. C. Bailey secretary. The bank committee previously named by Beans and McAdoo was supplemented by other appointments, making the personnel of the original bond workers as follows: John D. Kuster, Dr. W. C. Bailey, John F. Brooks, E. N. Richmond, J. D. Farwell, Howell D. Melvin, H. L. Baggerly, Elton R. Shaw, Geo. N. Herbert, Alfred B. Post, Wm. E. Blauer, E. K. Johnston, Walter Mathewson, V. J. La Motte, W. S. Clayton. G. R. Parkinson, Herbert Robinson, H. G. Coykendall, Chas. R. Parkinson and Wilbur J. Edwards.
Work began in earnest. Telephones and automobiles
were requisitioned. The committee forgot to look at the clock. On May 25,
Senator James D. Phelan telegraphed from Washington "We are fighting for
our liberty with the weapon nearest our hand. The Liberty Bond is such
a weapon." Sunday, May 27, congregations in San Jose churches, listened
to eloquent appeals to their loyalty and patriotism. In one church the
pastor changed "Jerusalem" to "America" with telling effect, his text reading:
"If I forget thee, O America,
let my right hand forget its cunning."
The committee on public meetings consisted of Elton R. Shaw, E. K. Johnston and E. N. Richmond. On May 29, the first big luncheon was held at the St. James hotel. The speech of the hour was made by Max Kuhl and the spirit of the gathering was President Wilson's message: "The supreme test of the nation has come. We must all act and serve together."
On Decoration Day hundreds gathered in St. James Park to hear Rev. J. W. Kramer's wonderful tribute to his country and his dramatic appeal for every loyal citizen's loyal support in the hour of America's need. "Old Glory," said the speaker, "May it wave and wave and never be furled until it is folded over the grave of dethroned Prussianism! May it wave and wave until war shall only be a fit inscription for the gates of hell! And wave and wave until all suffering humanity shall feel the warmth of its loving embrace!" On this Decoration Day, C. E. Kratt, the first pharmacist to enlist, left San Jose to join the colors, and J. D. Chase, Jr., secretary of the County Council of Defense since its organization, enlisted as a private in the National Guard.
Every bank in the county was alive to the need and subscribing liberally. On the night of June 6, City Manager Thomas H. Reed and Cyrus Peirce, of San Francisco, addressed a mass meeting at the Victory Theater at which Judge W. A. Beasly presided. E. N. Richmond acted as bond seller and $44,650 was subscribed on the spot. Only about 1000 attended this first mass meeting, but each of the 1000 men and women went away fully determined that San Jose should do its full duty.
Music for this meeting was furnished by W. E. Johnson, assisted by Dr. Charles M. Richards and the following quartet: Mrs. Charles Braslan, Mrs. J. C. Elder, Roy Thompson and Warren French. When W. E. Johnson sang "The Battle Hymn of the Republic," and "The Star Spangled Banner" that night in June he little thought how many times his appealing voice would wake San Jose audiences to heights of patriotism in the days to come--days that were to bring him heart-breaking news in the casualty lists from his "Mother England."
On June 8, 1917, led by Charles R. Parkinson, the Rotarians started a "Shoe Leather Campaign" of the residential and business districts with an accompanying "boost" program of patriotic mass meetings. That evening at the high school members of the committee addressed the student body numbering 1500. Louis Campiglia, Rotarian president, heartily sanctioned the "Shoe Leather Campaign." Following the meeting 100 high school boys under the direction of John Lynch, president of the student body, formed a special committee to canvass the residential district. There were committees appointed to interview all lawyers and, indirectly, their clients. This committee consisted of F. H. Bloomingdale, David M. Burnett, L. Petree and L. B. Archer. All lines of business were segregated and a committee appointed for each list. No business house was forgotten. For instance: Elmer E. Chase was given canneries; Dr. David A. Beattie, doctors and nurses; A. G. DuBrutz, plumbers; Ferdinand G. Canelo, dry-goods and department stores; Robert F. Benson, automobiles and accessories. Barber shops fell to the lot of Wm. L. Prussia. Jay McCabe, being known for his versatility, was handed a list which designated priests, and Chinese and Japanese settlements. For Jay's assistance leaflets were printed in Japanese, Chinese and Italian.
The speed was increased and nobody shirked. In competition with the high school solicitors Capt. Charles Parkinson of the Rotarians worked his bunch of live business men to the limit. Among the speakers at the meetings held in the various schoolhouses were D. M. Burnett, Judge Urban A. Sontheimer, E. N. Richmond, Chas. M. O'Brien, Chauncey F. Tramatolo, Dr. F. H. Patterson, George N. Herbert, Arthur M. Free, A. G. DuBrutz, W. L. Atkinson, Elton R. Shaw, W. S. Clayton and City Manager Thomas H. Reed. Everybody was working and working hard. The office of secretary was no sinecure. Dr. W. C. Bailey was a whole battery of big guns, and Chairman John D. Kuster a regular vitalizing current of energy.
About this time the "four minute men" made their entrance, speaking in the theaters. The men who won applause and bond subscriptions in four minutes were City Manager Reed, Councilman W. L. Atkinson and Deputy District Attorney Fred L. Thomas.
A unique break in the routine of probate proceeding occurred in Judge P. F. Gosbey's court room when he gave permission to trustees of various estates to use funds for the purchase of Liberty bonds. Thousands of dollars, otherwise unavailable, were loaned to Uncle Sam by this order which the Judge expressed himself as "glad to make."
By Wednesday, June 13, 1917, the San Josean who appeared without a Liberty Loan button was not popular. Banks remained open in the evening from seven to eight for the benefit of subscribers. Up to this time only 361 out of 1628 subscribers had bought bonds directly from the banks. The banks were subscribing heavily, a large percentage of the entire loan being taken by them. Many significant subscriptions were made. The scholarship fund at the high school purchased a $1000 bond. The First Methodist Church purchased bonds after hearing an address by Rev. W. L. Stidger, the pastor, in which he said: "We are fighting today for the same thing that Jesus Christ died for--the conservation of human liberty and freedom."
Little Chester Olson, a twelve-year-old newsboy, read a flaming poster that said "Those that stay at home must feed the boys at the front." Chester was patriotic--he had $10 in the bank. He asked father and mother for something. They agreed to help him. Proudly Chester went to the First National Bank and negotiated for the purchase of a $50 bond--$10 down and $2.50 a month. He made $1.43 in three days. Business was good and Uncle Sam needed the money. Later Chester's older brother donned a uniform and the little newsie was gladder than ever to be a bond owner!
The first Liberty loan went through with a whoop. For San Jose the number of subscribers was 4774; for the county 2228, making a total of 7002. The amount of the loan subscribed by San Jose was $1,611,300, averaging per capita $337. For the county the subscription was $707,050; per capita average, $317. The total bond subscription for the city and county was $2,318,350, with a per capita average of $331, and only six and one half per cent of the entire population subscribing. Invaluable aid during this and the second Liberty Loan drive was given by Fred Lewis Foster, the able and patriotic assistant secretarv of the Chamber of Commerce. He was combination patriotic assistant secretary, counselor, solicitor and publicity man and working quietly but efficiently he did a tremendous service.
On June 20, 1917, after the "smoke of battle" had cleared away, Dr. W. C. Bailey, president of the Chamber of Commerce and secretary of the Liberty Loan committee, issued the following letter, addressing it to "The Citizens:" "Now that the first installment of the Liberty loan has passed into history," wrote Dr. Bailey, "as Secretary of the Liberty Loan Committee, and in behalf of the committee, I wish to congratulate you upon the wonderful success of the issue and to rejoice with you in this great exhibition of solid financial assistance to the government in time of need. We simply could not fail. Returns are sufficient to show that this loan knew no territorial divisions, no financial cliques, no racial factions, but that it was a grand outpouring of the gold of the whole country by the rich and poor for united American democracy. We are proud of our local participation and we take this opportunity to congratulate all those who helped in any way to make this first installment of the Liberty Loan so splendidly successful.
"W. C. BAILEY.
"Secretary Liberty Loan Committee."
Senator Frank H. Benson is the man who introduced the original state council of defense emergency measure requested by Governor William D. Stephens, to the senate. This was done on March 28, 1917, the measure passing without a dissenting vote. This proposed state council of defense, to be composed of three members appointed by the governor, was to be empowered to investigate and report on all of California's resources and military needs.
Local members of the council appointed by the governor were Judge P. F. Gosbey, chairman: Henry M. Ayer, chairman board of supervisors; Arthur B. Langford, sheriff, Arthur M. Free, district attorney. Later Derol J. Chase was made secretary, and George E. Hamilton, of Santa Clara, and H. L. Haehl, of Palo Alto, were added to the council's membership.
Derol Chace made an unselfishly patriotic secretary, giving not only his entire time, but the use of his automobile to the work of the council. Not everyone was quite clear just what duties belonged to this body of men, for the reason that their work was of such a nature that much of it was a secret shared only with their Uncle Sam. The objects for which the nation-wide councils were formed were to safeguard the welfare of the people during the war, to increase food production and promote conservation; to co-operate in carrying on business and industrial pursuits in a manner as near normal as possible; to classify all unofficial military organizations and supervise their activities. In short, this council was to co-ordinate patriotic effort. There was one camp at Sixth and Santa Clara Streets, where companies B and M and a sanitary detachment were awaiting orders. Lieut. L. M. Farrell commanded the real fighting contingents. Maj. F. H. Paterson headed the sanitary detachment and called for volunteers. Telegraphic reports grew disquieting and the Sixth Street camp was very real. It began to disturb mothers and sisters, sweethearts and wives. Then, unexpectedly, that corner lot camp was broken up. Companies B and M left April 2, 1917, under orders.
Dominic DiFiore, University of Santa Clara graduate, enlisted in the aviation corps and said goodbye. Local regiments were forming. Maj. Herbert L. Partridge, retired, was acting colonel of one regiment. Capt. Russell B. Tripp, N. G. C., retired, acted as adjutant, and Capt. R. B. Leland, formerly of the National Guard of Iowa, served as quartermaster. Four local companies were headed respectively by Lieut. Argyll Campbell, Lieut. William L. Howe, Lieut. Byron W. Gray, all formerly of the N. G. C., and Capt. Clyde A. Bostwick, formerly of the Missouri National Guard.
Then City Manager Reed began the organization of the Home Guard which was to take the place of departed companies B and M. A committee of patriotic citizens met at the chamber of commerce--just eleven men--and decided to have a city Loyalty Demonstration. Ten Spanish War veterans, led by Capt. B. B. Kavanaugh, presented themselves at this meeting and offered themselves as a nucleus for the Home Guard.
San Jose's part in the great World War was really started at this meeting. The following Tuesday there was a meeting of the Chamber of Commerce. Dr. W. W. Campbell came down from Mt. Hamilton to tell about the stars. There came a time when three blue stars shone in the window of his mountain home--Kenneth, driving an ambulance on the fighting line in Italy; Douglas, Captain Douglas Campbell, later with the Aviation Corps to France; and Wallace, with the fighting engineers. The local Knights of Columbus and many other organizations adopted patriotic resolutions and the Sons of Veterans offered their loyal services.
Not everyone knew there were two Councils of Defense in the city. On Saturday, April 7, the North Ninth Street Council paraded. Led by Capt. Harry Vance, aged thirteen, came a guard of fourteen. The contingent consisted of a hospital corps of Red Cross nurses. Capt. Claire Declaire, seven years old, led them. The fighting squad, besides the captain, was officered by three first sergeants, Ernest Declaire, Ralph Guther and Milton Dampier.
At the time of the first registration, County Clerk H. A. Pfister took his place on the Council with a plan for handling the big task. "It's a big job," he said, "but I can do it and want to do it for the cause." June 17 was named by the President as Registration Day, for all men between the ages of 21 and 31. Foreign speaking residents were reached through the officers of their societies and a speaking committee. Sheriff Langford, assisted by Dan J. Flannery, covered Chinatown.
Finally a halt came. Postage stamps cost money. Down in their pockets went the members of the Council to the depth of $5 per member. Derol Chace was elected treasurer by acclamation. On May 31, 1917, he resigned from the Council, shouldered a real gun and marched away.
W. C. Short, of the firm of Short & Ryan, was appointed to fill the vacancy left by Derol Chace's enlistment. The Council almost went down for the third time in the struggle over registration and naming exemption boards and war gardens and so forth. Plans changed. It was decided that County Clerk Pfister should have charge of all registration outside of San Jose and City Manager Reed and City Clerk Louis Bailey all that within the city limits.
One patriotic endeavor for which great credit is due the Council was the launching and helping to bring to success the 1917 year garden campaign. The Council's efforts were successful in obtaining lower water rates and free water for many vacant lot gardens in order to promote food production. Meetings were held from time to time whenever matters of grave importance had to be discussed, new members were added until at the November 16th meeting the personnel of the Council was as follows: Mrs. J. P. Shambau, chairman of the Women's Committee; Mrs. W. H. Shockley, chairman of women's committee on food conservation; Mrs. John G. Jury, chairman largest group of women's activities; George E. Hamilton, chairman committee on commercial economy; Miss Stella Huntington, chairman collection of books and periodicals; H. M. Aver, chairman fire protection; H. B. Martin, food administrator; H. W. McComas, four-minute men; Byron Millard, city fuel administrator; E. A. Wilcox, county food administrator; D. J. Flannery, general speakers' bureau: J. M. Parker, Liberty loans; Judge H. D. Tuttle, non-war construction; E. A. Richmond, chairman Red Cross; Fred L. Fehren, Stanislaus plan; W. S. Clayton, chairman war donations; Joseph E. Hancock, war gardens; Prof. H. B. Leland, chairman war history; Dr. James B. Bullitt, chairman war savings stamps; C. S. Allen, war service league, and Mrs. L. T. Smith, women's mobilized army. The name of the Council was now changed to the Santa Clara County Division of the State Council of Defense.
On May 5, 1917, the Young Men's Christian Association started work on a national campaign for $3,000,000 for war work. Of this amount, Santa Clara's quota was $5000. This fund was raised at the request of Uncle Sam and was to be used for work among the soldiers and sailors of the United States. The request included a call for 1000 of the Association's best trained secretaries to work with the soldiers. For this drive California was divided into nine sections with nine executive secretaries in full charge of the financial features. The Santa Clara County division, with San Jose as headquarters, included Santa Clara, Monterey, Santa Cruz and San Benito Counties.
R. H. Gossom, a well known "Y." worker, had complete charge of the district, and John R. Mott, General Secretary, was at the head of the National Campaign. The San Jose campaign received the hearty endorsement of the local "Y." directors on May 9, 1917, at which time R. H. Gossom was present at the meeting. Hiram A. Blanchard, president of the San Jose Association, was delegated to select a district committee to operate the "drive," with the able assistance of John D. Crummey, vice-president, and Geo. C. Wilson, secretary. At a dinner on May 11, State Senator Herbert C. Jones explained the Association's objective. It as stated that the plan of mobilizing 1000 secretaries included extra equipment, educational and for amusements, for the benefit of the soldiers at every army post. This equipment was to include 200 pianos, 200 buildings, 200 moving-picture machines, 200 phonographs, 40,000 pounds of ice per day, 1000 pens and barrels of ink for the home letters. There were to be added 95 trucks and tons and tons of reading matter. Plans were completed and at a "Y." dinner on May 22, Senator Herbert C. Jones presiding, two "Generals" were chosen to head friendly opposing teams in the campaign for the $5000. These generals were District Attorney Arthur M. Free and Senator Frank H. Benson, who was also general chairman.
At Grace Baptist Church on Sunday, May 20, Frank D. Keene, who had left the College of the Pacific to join the colors under the standard of the Marines, and Hector Sawyer, local high school boy, also a "soldier of the sea," told an interested congregation of what the "Y." means to the enlisted men. These San Jose boys were home on their first shore leave and gladly enlisted their time in the cause of the "Y."
On the evening of May 22, the generals, captains and enthusiastic workers gathered for dinner at the Y. M. C. A. and the following morning, May 23, the campaign for "$5000 in two days" began with a rush. The two teams, headed respectively by District Attorney Arthur M. Free and Senator Frank H. Benson, had ten sub-teams, each with a captain and two workers. Others were to be added as needed. The captains of the Free team were: E. N. Richmond, Judge F. B. Brown, A. S. Bacon, Rev. J. A. Sutherland, L. D. Bohnett, J. D. Crider, C. E. Kelsey, Prof. C. M. Osenbaugh and W. G. Rambo. Benson's team was captained as follows: E. R. Wagner, D. J. Denhart, H. M. Barngrover, L. P. Edwards, Rev. George I. Long, J. D. Crummey, W. L. Atkinson, H. A. Blanchard, A. G. Wilkins, and C. F. Crothers.
The dollars rolled into headquarters in a steady steady stream and in two days San Jose went "over the top." This did not end San Jose's gift to the Y. M. C. A. During the dark days overseas and the time of dread and waiting here eight Y. M. C. A. secretaries left San Jose to minister to their soldier brothers. They were George C. Wilson, local Y. M. C. A. secretary; Rev. William L. Stidger, pastor of the First Methodist Church; Rev. O. P. Bell, former pastor of the United Presbyterian Church; Senator Frank H. Benson, John H. Tupper, Jesse H. Hedger, Fred Evans, Charles A. Miller, and Rev. E. A. King. The intimate experiences of these unarmed crusaders for human liberty are chapters of history written by the white light of unselfish service.
Other men came into the work particularly for overseas service, but in the person of George C. Wilson, San Jose's Y. M. C. A. sent a real secretary to the front. This was his life work, the great endeavor that held his heart in its keeping and to him came the gravest experience. For more than seven months in the St. Mihiel and other salients, he was constantly under airplane and shell fire. One night on an errand of mercy to the boys at the front, the truck in which he was riding through the blackness of the unlighted night along a perilously shell-pitted road, collided with another machine. In the terrific smash Wilson was very seriously injured. Wandering away in a delirious condition he stumbled and fell into a shell hole and was gassed. Some time passed before he was rescued. Invalided to the south of France he refused to be an invalid and soon returned to the horror of actual fighting scenes to minister to "his boys."
Jesse Hedger, previously in active "Y." service at home, just "had to go." When the call came, Rev. O. P. Bell went to France and found his work among the Russian soldiers. Rev. E. A. King went to France after the signing of the Armistice to carry out an educational campaign among the soldiers. Karl Kennedy, a former San Jose lawyer, went from San Francsco as athletic instructor about the same time.
With its members numbering 100, the first Red Cross membership drive in April, 1917, was conducted by Mrs. A. A. Fowler. The Red Cross Christmas Roll Call that commenced December 11, 1917, under the direction of the Woman's Army added more than 17,300 names. Early in April came the plea for funds with which to purchase material for the making of hospital garments. These appeals alternated with the ones for old linen, old muslin, bedspreads, and turkish towels. Three rooms in the New Century building at the corner of Second and Santa Clara streets, were donated by the De Saisset estate for the surgical dressing department of the Red Cross.
On June 12 the garment rooms opened at 41 South Second street, their use being kindly donated by the Phelan estate through Mr. A. C. Darby.
On June 19 came the first call for comfort bags for the boys of Companies B and M, then stationed in Nevada. The W. C. T. U. assisted in preparing 125 comfort bags. Though shipped immediately through some inadvertence they failed to reach the boys until almost a year later when a letter of thanks arrived. It came front Captain L. La Hue, and was written before sailing for France.
The first work under the direction of Mrs. Hobson was prepared by Mrs. David Burnett, Mrs. S. Van Dalsem, Mrs. W. R. Wilson, Mrs. Fillipello, Mrs. R. Syer, Mrs. A. D. DuBrutz, the Misses Dorothy White, Ida Wehner, Sybil Hayes, Miriam Hayes, Cecille Brooke and Miss Chapman. The first cutting of garments was done by Mesdames W. Gross, W. Van Dalsem, P. F. Gosbey, S. W. Gilchrist, Arthur Langford, Charles Wayland, Walter Murray, W. G Alexander, George Muirson, Ernest Conant, L. Blackford and other willing volunteers whose names failed to be recorded.
The first society to volunteer as a society was the P. E. O. organization. These ladies offered their services through Mrs. W. C. Bailey and worked through the entire war period later taking charge of the knitting rooms at the Theatre building. Late in the fall of 1917 the production and garment rooms were moved from South Second street to a suite of fire rooms in the Theatre building.
San jose had many busy Red Cross circles, each doing its best under a capable chairman to keep us up with the quotas alloted. Among those circles were St. Vincent's circle. Mrs. W. P. Dougherty, chairman; Eastern Star circle, Mrs. A. B. Langford, chairman; College Park circle, Mrs. M. Candee, chairman; Moreland circle, Mrs. LeRoy Anderson, chairman; Hester circle, Mrs. Elizabeth Smith, chairman; Y. W. C. A. circle, Mrs. Mary Bolan, chairman; Normal Training school, Miss Margaret Gleason, chairman; School Women's club, Miss Edith O'Brien, chairman; Ladies of Maccabees, Mrs. Nellie Thompson, chairman; Rachael Fox Union circle at Burbank, Mrs. Maude P. Boynton, chairman; Glen Eyrie W. C. T. U. circle. Mrs. A. C. Saunders, chairman.
This pioneer year in war work was filled with difficulties, but it perfected all organization, and when the report came in for the first year's work, under the guidance of Mrs. W. B. Hobson, it was a document to be proud of. In 1917 the total receipts, $20,401.65; disbursements, $926.30. Total number of articles completed by San Jose Chapter, 22,287. From May, 1917, to May, 1918, the sewing rooms completed 8133 pairs of pajamas; knitted garments, 190,025. For the same period the production in the surgical dressing room, amounted to 228,264 articles. Refugee work comprised 3032 garments. For local use the production rooms completed 266 pneumonia jackets and 2800 masks. From May, 1917, to May, 1918, the garments and surgical dressings numbered 152,487. From May, 1918, to May, 1919, the production totaled 153,338. For the entire period the dressings and garments numbered 287,825. The Junior Red Cross produced 2316 garments.
The Home Service Department of the Red Cross assisted 1452 families from May 18, 1918, to April 30, 1919. The money expended amounted to $6,488.88, and of this disbursement, $2,178.33 came back.
From May, 1917, to May, 1918, the sewing rooms completed 8133 pairs of pajamas. Of knitted garments: socks, sweaters, wristlets, helmets, mufflers, shawls and stockings--a total of 190,025. There were in this quota 12,806 socks and 3662 sweaters. For the same period the production of the surgical dressing rooms amounted to 228,264 articles, including 5-yard rolls, pads, pneumonia jackets, masks, compresses, drains, tampons, bandages, front line parcels, heel rings and sponges. Of compresses alone there were 183,723 made. Refugee work comprised 3032 garments. Of miscellaneous garments there were 26,305 completed. This list included aviators jackets, pillow cases, bed socks, helpless case shirts, pajama trousers, boys' suit, boys' trousers, drawers, undershirts, underdrawers, bed shirts, ambulance covers, ambulance pillows, ice bag covers, convalescent covers, bed jackets, hot water bag covers, girls' petticoats, girls' dresses, napkins, scrub cloths, wash cloths, handkerchiefs, tray cloths, quilts, comfort bags, operating leggins, sheets, unhemmed squares.
From May, 1917, to May, 1918, the garments and surgical dressings numbered 152.487. From May, 1918, to May, 1919, the production totaled 153,338. For the entire period dressings and garments numbered 287,825. Nor was the Junior Red Cross doing "junior" work along the lines of production. With a junior membership of 13,120 the garments produced were 2316.
By the President's proclamation June 18-25, 1917, was Red Cross week, and a nation-wide campaign opened. San Jose did her part nobly. At the time of the opening of the Red Cross campaign the officers of the local Chapter were Dr. M. E. Dailey (since deceased), chairman; Mrs. W. P. Dougherty, vice-chairman; W. T. Rambo, secretary; V. J. LaMotte, treasurer. One of the first Red Cross benefits was a dance and Red Cross drill given May 24 by the G. C. Review, No. 4, Ladies of the Maccabees, Captain Amy Thompson. A. D. Ferrari, of the Italian-American Progressive club, came forward with a suggestion for co-operation.
On May 27 Dr. M. E. Dailey received a telegram from John J. Clymer, director of the Pacific Division of the Red Cross, appointing a meeting in San Francisco. Dr. Dailey, Dr. W. C. Bailey, J. O. Hayes and W. C. Andrews attended this meeting. The result of this conference was a meeting of the local chapter on June 6. At this time Samuel G. Tompkins was appointed chairman for the Santa Clara County campaign and Arthur M. Free was made campaign manager. Karl Stull as chairman headed the activities of the following publicity committee: Alvin Long, J. O. Hayes, Jay McCabe, H. L. Baggerly, W. L. Prussia, S. R. Walls, R. O. Bell, Judge W. A. Beasly, E. M. Rosenthal, J. E. Hancock, Alexander Sheriffs, C. M. Osenbaugh, Dr. M. E. Dailey and John D. Kuster.
The executive committee included Samuel G. Tompkins, chairman; Arthur M. Free, campaign manager; S. W. Waterhouse, Henry M. Ayer, D. J. Flannery, Karl Stull, W. T. Rambo, Alexander Sheriffs, Judge W. A. Beasly and A. P. Murgotten, secretary.
On May 9, 1917, the San Jose chapter of the Red Cross met at the Chamber of Commerce to arrange for the coming drive. The Chamber of Commerce, by Joseph T. Brooks, secretary, offered the use of a room in the building for headquarters and the services of the office force.
Hiram A. Blanchard, with the assistance of 150 girls, compiled a roster of 10,000 names for the assistance of the campaigners. A club women's committee under the direction of Mrs. W. B. Irish was appointed and Mrs. Stull, publicity: Arthur Holmes, round up; Mrs. W. B. Irish, musical entertainment; D. J. Flannery, waste paper; H. A. Blanchard, cards, etc.; L. M. Simonson, treasurer and cashier; committee on lodges and societies, W. G. Alexander, W. F. Curry, Ed Distel; newspapers, Sheldon Wills, J. O. Hayes, H. L. Baggerly, Buel Anderson; stunts, Jay McCabe, R. O. Bell, Alvin Long; outside press. Alvin Long; pulpits, Arthur M. Free: theaters, Gene Rosenthal; schools, J. E. Hancock, C. M. Osenbaugh, M. E. Dailey, Alexander Sheriffs.
Then the publicity committee worked overtime. Full page ads appeared in all the papers. No one will ever forget the immense Red Cross poster that lifted against the sky on top of the First National Bank Building. With its statue of Liberty and pertinent question "Will you fight or give?" no one could escape it. It veritably "shouted from the housetops!" Then team captains were chosen. Those selected for the work of raising the mercy fund were D. M. Burnett, Henry G. Hill, John P. Fitzgerald, Dr. Charles M. Richards, Charles M. O'Brien, S. W. Waterhouse, Richard Bressani, John J. Jones, Judge F. B. Brown and Herbert Jones.
San Jose had $100,000 to raise and 200 workers for the job. Karl Stull chalked returns on his blackboard and the first day's effort went down as $14,600. Just then Jack Graham's war song, "We'll Fight for Yankee Doodle," made its appearance and became a feature during the Red Cross drive, being used by theater orchestras and bands all over the country. Lodges contributed liberally; there were all kinds of benefits for the Red Cross. Mrs. B. E. Laughlin wrote and personally supervised the beautiful presentation of a children's cantata, "An Evening in Dreamland." The charms of the dreamland were enhanced by pupils of Miss Hughes and Helbert Hitching, who gave a program of dances, and the pupils of Mrs. Theresa Parker and Prof. De Lorenzo, who gave voices of song to fairyland.
The never-to-be forgotten pageant was a gigantic Red Cross benefit, staged by 1500 performers and witnessed by more than 5000 people on June 1. The pageant of history and allegory was written by Miss Helen Stocking, with music by Miss Ruth Cornell, and song verse by Clarence Urmy. Joseph E. Hancock, president of the Drama Association, was responsible for the pageant, which was given under the directing genius of Garnet Holme.
Alexander P. Murgotten, secretary of the committee, donated needed office supplies and the Argall brothers quartet volunteered their services for the entire Red Cross campaign. Frank Sabatelli's gift for the cause of humanity should not be forgotten. His subscription was $100, and he was only earning $2 a day as a common laborer. The largest single contribution was secured by D. M. Burnett's team--$2500 given by the estate of E. McLaughlin. The waste paper campaign, engineered by Dan Flannery, was a valuable asset in the final computation of funds. The women's team under Mrs. Lilian Arnold turned in over $2000. Hundreds of dollars were given at a mass meeting at the Victory Theater. The speaker was Lieutenant Goldsworthy, a wounded soldier.
On the night of June 27, San Joseans were astonished to see the lights in the cross on the tower of the First Methodist Church turn from white to red. Rev. W. L. Stidger, the pastor, gave the following explanation: "I consider that lighted cross turning its face north, east, south and west as the symbol not only of that Christ who died for liberty and freedom, but I also feel that it symbolizes in an especial way the light that the whole Red Cross movement is, spreading in the dark places of the earth in these cruel war times." Paul D. Cambino, whose services for the changing of these lights were lent by the Blake Electrical Company, did his "bit" in this unique transformation. Cambino had never climbed a tower. The wind was blowing, too, but he swallowed his fear, climbed to the top and made the change.
Sunday morning, June 24, the final appeal of the
campaign was made. Spontaneously, patriotically, whole-heartedly, the appeal
was answered and all day Monday the dollars rolled in. Monday afternoon
and evening Manager Clover, of the T. & D. Theater, gave the entire
proceeds to the Red Cross. W. E.
Johnson and the Argalls sang; Helbert Hitching presented an attractive program of dances; an orchestra composed of members of local union No. 153, under the direction of Carl Fitzgerald, volunteered their services; Joseph Blum, manager of the Jose Theater, lent two of his best acts; Judge E. M. Rosenthal acted as stage director. Jay McCabe's able committee sold candy. The only thing they were not able to do was to make change! These patriotically energetic salesmen who forgot their arithmetic under Jay's direction were: W. L. Prussia, Ernest Lion, Henry Hirsch, Leroy Parkinson, Dr. James Kramer, Dan Flannery, R. O. Stewart, F. O. Reed, Karl Stull and Arthur Holmes. The drive was a success. Chas. M. O'Brien's team led with $15,229.61, and the sought for $100,000 became $135,000. Generous assistance was given by Nellie Farliepp, Belle Gallagher and Mrs. Floy Johnson, of the court house. One of the heaviest burdens fell upon Louis Simonson, expert accountant and under sheriff. He devoted all his time to the work and the sheriff's office was transformed into a Red Cross headquarters. His assistants were Eleanor Brown, Dicey Baugh, Marguerite Vella and Mrs. J. F. Charles.
The next was the book drive, started in the War Service Committee of the American Library Association. Not with howitzers and shrapnel was the tedium of camp life to be destroyed, but by books, papers and magazines. The call was for $1,000,000 for reading matter, the biggest movement of the kind ever contemplated. At five cents per capita, San Jose's quota was $1750. Mrs. John E. Richards, president of the board of library trustees, presided at a preliminary meeting held at the city library to arrange the campaign. Senator Frank H. Benson drew the secretaryship. Charles F. Woods, recently appointed librarian, explained the purposes of the drive. The active campaign commenced September 24, 1917, with Librarian Woods in charge. He was ably assisted by Miss Stella Huntington, county librarian.
Over 200 posters in red, white and blue placarded the town. Each donation of $1.00 or more entitled the giver to an engraved name plate in one of the books purchased. "Send your name to the front if you can't go" was a drive slogan. Day by day the amount increased. Then came Saturday, September 27, 1917,--the last day of the week's drive. It was a great "Tag Day." A bevy of San Jose's pretty girls, under the direction of a committee headed by Mrs. A. A. Fowler, played "tag" all day. The members of this committee were Mrs. A. A. Fowler, Mrs. J. E. Richards, Mrs. Chas. F. Woods, Mrs. G. W. Hommedieu and Mrs. Nina Moon. Tag Day brought $300 and the end of the drive for funds. Librarians Woods and Huntington with the assistance of the interested committees and volunteer workers had "put it across." Other book drives followed. The cry front overseas was answered by San Jose.
On May 1, 1917, San Jose high school students heard the war garden program outlined by Prof. H. B. Crocheron, of the Department of Agriculture, University of California. He held the official appointment made by Dean Hunt, of the College of Agriculture, to enlist the help of boys too young to enlist for other service. At the time of his visit to San Jose he found that the high school agricultural department had 114 pupils interested in practical farm production. These student-farmers constituted an agricultural club, under the direction of Prof. J. R. Case, Jr. This first meeting resulted in the enlistment of 350 high school boys who pledged themselves to crop production and to assist with the year's harvest.
Food production plans occupied the earnest attention of the council of defense. A citizen's committee under the leadership of E. E. Chase became interested. The Rotary Club stood solidly behind the campaign. By May 2, 1917, plans were well under way to supervise intensive gardening. Every man, woman and child who owned or could borrow a bit of land made up a committee "of the whole." Campiglia advised the Rotarians of the campaign progress in other sections--and San Jose just rolled up its sleeves and went to farming.
The response to the appeal for vacant lots was an avalanche! All schools received visits from the committee. By May 3 the Horace Mann children had taken 30 lots, each having more than 4000 square feet. The Grant and Longfellow children planned to cultivate their own back yards. School heads agreed to farm lots themselves or in co-operation with the children. Rotarians grabbed a piece of land some distance from town and planted 50 acres of corn. They also offered special inducements to school children in the form of prizes. Then work began in earnest. Weeds and dry grass trembled and tin cans knew their hour of doom had come. First of all, the vacant lots must be well "soaked" or the ground would be lumpy at the plowing. This watering was undertaken by the Rotarians. The council of defense and other interested organizations found the San Jose Water Company eager to help by reducing rates for home gardens and donating water for vacant lots. The San Jose fire department, under Chief Edward Haley and Assistant Chief Herman Hobson, volunteered to do the flooding of the lots. The street department, directed by Chief Engineer Walter H. Hunt, were to furnish teams and a plow and do the needed work on as many lots as possible. The Bean Spray company offered a tractor for plowing the larger lots and groups of lots.
Then the 100 Boy Scouts of the First Methodist Church, under the leadership of Rev. Frank McLain, each pledged himself to "feed a soldier." They promised to forget vacation--and they kept that promise. They put on an unexpected and novel program. One evening in May, headed by two stalwart policemen and armed with rakes and hoes for, weapons, they marched through the down town streets. The Scouts bubbled over with patriotism. One little laddie said: "Maybe I'm too little to carry a gun, but I can make a garden!" For months Rev. Frank McLain, Mr. Farrier, of the First National Bank, George Norris and Donald Arguello had worked on the Boy Scout movement in San Jose and their efforts found recognition in the cheers that greeted this patriotic parade of volunteer food producers.
The Rotarians did more than make speaches and cheer. They dug in their individual gardens and they dug down deep in their pockets and put up several hundreds of dollars to finance the work of getting the vacant lot gardens ready to plant. They secured the services of C. H. Waterman, who took charge of their planting campaign for 30 days. It was a unique campaign, for it was the first time in the history of the city that its government turned gardener! Firemen to do the flooding, police department volunteering to transport the hose from place to place, and the city's teams to do the plowing!
The firemen had the worst of it. Their work was done between the hours of eight in the evening and four the next morning--but not one of them complained. There was difficulty in finding the lots. Frequently instead of one vacant lot they found four and the middle of the night was a mighty inconvenient time to find out which lot to flood! All night, night after night, the fire boys worked. They "dyked" the lots until each one looked like a miniature Holland--then turned on the water.
A conference of all the local food production experts was held at the high school cafeteria on May 10, 1917. E. E. Chase, chairman of the original food supply committee, presiding. Earl Morris, county horticultural commissioner, was made chairman of the campaign committee and the personnel of those attending the conference were: E. E. Chase, W. L. Atkinson, representing the Rotary Club; Alexander Sheriffs, city superintendent of schools; Arthur M. Free and J. D. Chace, Jr., of the Council of Defense; Prof. J. R. Case, Jr., of high school agricultural department; C. H. Waterman, general campaign supervisor; Karl Hazeltine and Ernst L. Conant. Arthur Free toured the schools of the county, J. J. McDonald donated a plow, teams were loaned by John R. Chace and the Standard Oil Company, and over 500 high school and normal school students enlisted for the work. Over 200 lots were cultivated. Andrew P. Hill's back yard was an incentive for greater garden effort, for nothing was wasted there, not even space.
The winners of the first and second prizes offered by the Rotary Club in the schools were: Gardner School--Herbert Hyer, Jack Hewitt. Lowell School--Willie Jury, Harris Willson. Washington School--Frank Guerra, Emilio Gagliardo. Hawthorne School--Mario and Frank Duino, first, and George Straight, second. Grant School--Louis Arnone, first, and Denward and Fred Davis, second. Horace Mann School--Albert Hachlen and George Bliss, first,and Vivian Thornton, Thelma Lanz, Alvis Davis, Ruby Withers, Thelma McGary, Carol Ames, second. Longfellow School--Byron and Thelma Hunt, first, and Walter Donley, Emile Ricca and Cecil Morehead, second. Lincoln School--Ray Nicholas and Jack Gilleran.
No story of this 1917 garden activity would be complete without special mention of Rev. J. H. Wythe, who, during the entire period, was deeply interested in the movement and who aided its success in every way, not only because of his government appointment on this commission but because of his love of gardens. During 1918 Prof. Joseph E. Hancock was given the chairmanship of war garden activities by C. C. Moore, chairman of the state council of defense. Professor Hancock had an extensive campaign planned when the armistice removed the pressing necessity for increased food production.
Wednesday, September 26, 1917, San Jose bade goodbye to Companies B and M, California volunteers, trained at Fort Mason, who passed through on their way to "somewhere in France." That same day J. D. Kuster, W. S. Clayton, V. J. LaMotte, Victor Palmer and Dr. W. C. Bailey went to San Francisco to consult with the general executive committee. Friday the local meeting was held to arrange for the opening of the loan campaign October 1. The committee personnel remained the same as in the first loan, John D. Kuster, chairman, and Dr. W. C. Bailey, secretary.
The city was divided into four districts, each with well defined street boundaries, and a competent executive head named for each district. Joseph M. Parker was made chairman of ward one; Arthur M. Free, ward two; A. L. Hubbard, ward three; and H. A. Harms, ward four. Each chairman appointed a working committee of from 50 to 100 in his district with captains and lieutenants so as to quickly organize effective work.
At this time the Eighth regiment, comprising over a thousand men, Colonel George M. Weeks commanding, arrived at Camp Fremont after a two months' trip from the Philippine Islands. The famous California Grizzlies were forming and camped at Tanforan, prominent among them being Major Robert I. Bentley, Captain Cedric R. Richmond. Captain Ellsworth E. Chase and Lieutenant Wilmer Gross. The cross above the hallowed grave of Lieutenant Wilmer Gross "somewhere in France" casts its shadow on the hearts of the home-folks for the continuance of whose liberty he made the supreme sacrifice.
Sunday, September 30, 1917, the Argall Brothers quartet made their last appearance as a singing group at the Methodist Church. Charles was soon to leave for France.
Joseph M. Parker's committee met Sunday at the Vendome Hotel and for each of the six precincts in the first ward a chairman and his aids were named. Precinct No. 1--Henry Ayer, chairman; William Watson, Joseph Hartman, William I. Geoffroy, W. F. Curry, and Dr. A. A. Cavagnara. Precinct No. 2--Joseph Magistretti, chairman; D. M. Denegri, J. Cailleau, Eugene Pezolo, F. W. Hogan. Precinct No. 3--John V. Slavich, chairman; A. P. Lepesh, August P. Minjoulet, Gus Wendt, N. A. Pellerano. Precinct No. 4--J. J. McLaurin, chairman; Matt Glennon, W. P. Isham, A. R. Kennedy. Precinct No. 5--W. L. Atkinson, chairman; Dan J. Flannery, George H. Anderson, George McDonald, J. R. Kocher, James Gillon, A. N. Losse. Precinct No. 6--Alexander Sheriffs, chairman; Harry Morris, J. F. O'Keefe, Miss Lynch, Mrs. Fred Keller, Mrs. Bennett, Mrs. J. J. Conniff, Mrs. Baggott.
Other war leaders hastened to perfect their working force. Free learned that Al Hubbard was coming over in his ward to appropriate some of the best workers. Hubbard made approaches to Billy Prussia, who was counted on by Free as a soliciting prize winner. That would never do. Free called a meeting at the Chamber of Commerce. Hubbard called a meeting at the same time and place! They compromised! It was the best compromise in the world. They simply agreed to combine forces and fight side by side to a victorious finish with the following committeemen:
Free's workers--S. W. Waterhouse, James Finley, C. A. Hall, Walter Lillick, Juanita Halsey, Jennie Sheriffs, R. R. Syer, E. M. Rosenthal, S. Trapani, Jese Levy, Alexander Hart, Joe Millard, Bert Gassett, Judge P. F. Gosbey, Elmer E. Chase, Tom Bodley, Fannie Morrison, Mrs. C. A. Wayland, Dr. William Simpson, Dr. J. J. Miller, Gus Lion, Frank O'Connell, Alfred Madsen, Karl Stull, Mrs. Fosgate, Dr. David A. Beattie, Tom Watson, Mrs. T. L. Blanchard, Walter Chrisman, L. Maggini, Sam E. Smith, Samuel Tompkins, R. C. McComish, Captain Bailey, Captain Campbell, Mrs. Mae Faull, Mrs. Henry Lion, Mrs. S. Ogier, Robert Borchers, A. C. Kuhns, Ralph Lowe.
In ward four H. A. Harms, chairman, put his sign and seal on the following gentlemanly solicitors, each to name other able assistants: C. W. Davison, Judge Urban A. Sontheimer, E. P. Bonar, J. B. Chiappe, F. A. Gunn, J. M. McKiernan, C. H. James, Mrs. D. H. Roberts.
Word came that on the following Friday, October 5, more than 700 boys would pass through San Jose on their way to Camp Lewis. The reception and supper given them in St. James Street next to the Park, followed the city's goodbye to 126 of the local boys, who left that day for army camps.
October 6, John D. Kuster received a telegram from Mrs. E. R. Brainard, chairman of the Woman's Liberty Loan committee for California, asking that women be appointed for county work. Mrs. C. A. Wayland was given the honor of the first appointment as chairman and immediately began to perfect an organization. The women entered into the campaign with as much fervor as the men.
Mrs. Charles C. Wayland's committee of women was co-operating with the men's liberty loan committee and the women's council of defense.
Judge William A. Beasly headed the speakers' committee and secured Charles K. Field, editor of the Sunset Magazine, who addressed an immense audience in the First Baptist Church the next Sunday evening. Other speakers who gave their services during the campaign under Judge Beasly's direction were J. S. Williams, Dr. J. W Dinsmore, Arthur Free, Victor LaMotte, Senator Herbert H. Jones, A. C. Kuhn, Fred L. Thomas, M. E. Griffiths, Victor Palmer, F. M. Coleman and Senator Frank H. Benson.
H. W. McComas was made chairman of the four minute men--Arthur M. Free, Senator Jones, Grant Bennett, Dr. James B. Bullitt.
Friday, October 19, 1917, saw a wonderfully inspiring parade of school children. More than 5000 were in line. The parade, fifteen blocks long, was led by City Manager Reed and Charles Parkinson. Much of its success was due to the efforts of Dr. M. E. Dailey, Agnes E. Howe and Alexander Sheriffs.
The President's proclamation had designated October 24 as Liberty Day, and Joseph M. Parker, Chas. R. Parkinson, Henry Ayer and Joseph T. Brooks went to Camp Fremont to confer with the officers there about having the troops take part in the day's demonstration. Dr. James B. Bullitt, J. S. Williams and Victor Palmer did valiant work and so did Billy Emerson, San Jose's veteran newsie.
On Liberty Day with its jostling crowds lining the streets, there passed such a spectacular parade numbering more than 15,000 persons as had never before thrilled the hearts of San Joseans. The Eighth Regiment came from Camp Fremont, 800 strong. There were seven bands, besides numerous drum corps, all the schools, and fraternal and civic organizations. Chief of Police Black led the parade with City Manager Reed as grand marshal and Sheriff Arthur B. Langford as chief aid. At St. James Park, following the parade, refreshments were served to the Eighth Regiment, after which Arthur M. Free delivered an eloquent and stirring address. Deputy District Attorney Griffith addressed the crowd from an auto near the Park, again from the steps of the Garden City Bank, and a third time at the corner of St. James and First Streets.
The men who gave their time and energy to make this parade an unforgettable event were Joseph M. Parker, Chas. R. Parkinson, Thomas H. Reed; John D. Kuster, A. E. Holmes, Karl Stull, Howell D. Melvin, Dr. W. C. Bailey, Henry M. Ayer and Arthur B. Langford.
At the last moment the Boy Scouts were called upon and they enlisted full of enthusiasm. The second Liberty loan campaign ended Saturday night, October 27, with a subscription of $3,365,100--another over subscription. San Jose's number of subscribers was 4722; county subscribers, 3250, making a total of 7972, an increase of 970 over the first loan San Jose's subscription was $2,305,650. The average subscription per capita was $488.
Now came the second Y. M. C. A. drive. The National War Council recommended the raising of a fund of $35,000,000, to serve the soldiers and sailors of the allies and all prisoners of war. The plan for Santa Clara County was outlined in San Jose on November 19, 1917, at a dinner in the Y. M. C. A. Auditorium. The speakers were Senator Herbert C. Jones and Judge W. A. Beasly. Then church meetings and school meetings, the high school boys being enthusiastic workers. They subscribed $970. Nine San Jose girls, Malva Beatty, Grace Limerick, Julia Holdridge, Hazel Dickinson, Georgine Fink, Beth Crummey, Lilah Seiley and Lola Burdick, made "earn and give" pledges of $10 each. The children in the kindergarten wanted to help, and a special fund took care of their pennies and dimes. More than 350 committeemen helped to carry on the second "Y." drive. These men constituted more than twenty teams. On November 20, Senator Jones announced that the drive was "over the top," having $5000 more than the $25,000 quota.
The Women's Mobilized Army proved its ability as a power for accomplishment through campaign after campaign for war funds and strenuous bond drives. Mrs. L. T. Smith became colonel for the Santa Clara County Army, and Mrs. D. A. Beattie, as lieutenant-colonel, looked after San Jose. Eleven other workers were appointed to lead the activities of the various districts of the county. These were: Mrs. W. B. Allen, Palo Alto; Mrs. S. L. Berry, Mountain View; Mrs. James Glendenning, Santa Clara; Mrs. A. A. Halsey, Cupertino; Mrs. Geo. Parso, Campbell; Mrs. W. G. Tomlinson, Saratoga; Mrs. Z. L. Riggs, Los Gatos; Mrs. O. H. Barnhart, Morgan Hill; Mrs. W. B. Holschaw, Gilroy; Mrs. J. P. Shambo, Evergreen, and Miss Nellie Evans, Milpitas. This permanent organization effected for the period of the war, included beside the colonel and twelve lieutenant-colonels, a major for each school district. Each major appointed captains and under each captain were several lieutenants. In San Jose the majors named by Mrs. D. A. Beattie were Mrs. P. F. Gosbey, Mrs. N. H. Booker, Mrs. J. J. Byl, Mrs. J. E. Hancock, Mrs. F. A. Von Dorston, Mrs. C. C. Little, Miss Wehner, Mrs. Nicholas Bowden, Mrs. Willis Clayton, Mrs. A. B. Brown, Mrs. George B. Seeley, Mrs. Charles Parkinson and Mrs. S. D. Farrington.
This magnificent organization, perfected in a short time, numbered 1400 women banded together to answer with unselfish service every appeal made to them. Nine tremendous war activities called for their best endeavor. The December, 1917, Red Cross membership drive was the Mobilized Army's initial service. Mrs. A. A. Fowler was chairman of this activity. The second campaign came in 1918, when they helped to carry out the successful Thrift and War Savings Stamp drive under the chairmanship of Mrs. F. M. Eley.
The third Liberty loan, April, 1918, proved the quality of women's service under the guidance of Mrs. C. A. Wayland, chairman. The Red Cross campaign in May, 1918, War Savings Stamp drive in June, 1918, and the registration of all children under six years of age, also in June, were directed by members of the Women's Army. In October, 1918, came the fourth Liberty loan, and no one will ever forget the Volunteer Day preceding it on September 7. On this day members of the Women's Mobilized Army served in the regular polling places throughout the country, more than 850 volunteering for this work in San Jose. The result of efficient organization became apparent when a "check up" of the day's returns showed that about 65 per cent of Santa Clara county's quota had been volunteered in one day. The United War Work campaign in November, 1918, and the Liberty loan drive closed the book of the Women's Mobilized Army history. No tabulation of campaign returns or bare record of work can ever tell the story in its entirety. The members of this army made every sacrifice, some of them even the sacrifice of health in the patriotic endeavor to leave nothing undone that would speed the coming of the day when peace should dawn on a war-worn world.
Among the thousands of appealing incidents during the work of the Women's Army are two particularly worthy of special mention. In San Jose Precinct No. 10, Mrs. E. H. Baker made no changes in the personnel of her workers during the entire war period. The faithful coterie of women were: Mrs. E. H. Baker, Mrs. L. L. Lamar, Mrs. C. E. Parsons, Miss M. Blomdohl, Mrs. C. O. Neale and Mrs. E. Perkins. The other instance of valiant service was that of Mrs. J. M. Church Walker, in charge of the mountain district above Los Gatos. This little woman having no other way to do her work walked every step of the necessary sixteen miles to organize her district.
The latter part of 1917 was a great succession of drives. The first week in December the National War Council of the Young Women's Christian Association issued a call for $4,000,000 for the purpose of establishing social and rest centers for heroic nurses at the front. Santa Clara County's quota was $16,000. At a meeting on December 5, Mrs. L. T. Smith made her appointments for the county, and Mrs. D. A. Beattie named the following team captains for San Jose: Mrs. Robert Syer, Miss Maud Blackford, Mrs Peter Dunn, Miss Bertha Fair, Mrs. C. C. Little, Mrs. Stephen Maynard. Each captain selected ten to twelve women for patriotic service. San Jose responded, as it always did, with an oversubscription. Not only San Jose but the County. The quota was reached with $4000 to spare.
During the summer of 1918 the local Y. W. C. A. made a gift beyond price to the cause of suffering humanity when Miss Mary Helen Post offered herself through the Association for overseas work.
The Knights of Columbus and the Y. M. C. A. received appointments at the same time from President Wilson. The big task before these organizations was to raise funds for the special needs of the soldiers. The Knights undertook to raise $50.000 for the entire county. San Jose's share being $10,000. It was to be a fund for all, a work for all, regardless of creed or fraternal affiliation. Plans for the campaign were made in December, 1917, at a luncheon at the Hotel Vendome, at which time Rev. Edward J. Hanna, the guest of honor, expressed his pleasure in the co-operation of different organizations. "For the first time in its history," said Bishop Hanna, "the country has placed its moral and physical welfare in the hands of the religious men of the nation. The best way to make good soldiers is to educate men to high ideals."
The drive, scheduled originally for December 19, opened at that time in the residential districts only, the business district not to be canvassed until after Christmas. Charles M. O'Brien led the K. of C. forces as chairman of a committee consisting of J. F. Brooke, D. M. Burnett, Jay McCabe, F. G. Canelo, F. J. Somers, Robert Benson, W. F. Benson, J. S. Williams, John J. Jones, Dr. B. L. Wise, Frank Martin, F. J. Reidy, R. Bressani, N. A. Pellerano, M. E. Griffith and D. J. Flannery. Peter Dunne was assigned to the Alameda; Joseph A. Bihn and James Hancock led the campaigners in the Willows; J. S. Cunan, E. S., San Jose. Joseph Solari and C. O. Wendt were committeemen to cover "the city."
Christmas time, several other drives in progress--and $10,000 to raise! That meant $1000 every day for ten days! The vaudeville show for the Camp Fremont boys had just been given by the Knights of Columbus and stimulated interest in the drive. Then the war fund received a Christmas gift from Manager James Beatty of the Liberty Theater. This gift was 2000 theater tickets to be sold for the benefit of the campaign.
The day after Christmas the drive began in earnest. Judge W. A. Beasly, C. C. Coolidge and John J. Jones called upon all the attorneys. Doctors and dentists received visits from Drs. Philip Wise, Arthur T. McGinty and Dr. Murray. John F. Brooke, J. R. Ryland and David Burnett visited all fruit canners. Frank J. Somers, Will Prussia and F. J. McHenry claimed the territory on the east side of First Street from Santa Clara. The west side of the street was canvassed by F. G. Canelo, Jay McCabe and Henry Hoff. Santa Clara Street was assigned to Charles L. Barrington, P. J. Foley and H. J. Dougherty; Second Street between San Antonio and San Fernando was claimed by Joe Solari, Frank Reidy and W. J. Benson. John S. Williams, N. A. Pellerano and Richard Bressani covered Market Street.
Daily luncheons with encouraging reports spurred to greater endeavor and on December 30, when Chairman Charles M. O'Brien announced that the quota had been reached with a generous margin there was a burst of enthusiasm.
The gift of $10,000 to the war fund did not end the local offer of Catholic helpfulness. Father Walsh and Father Cox, of Santa Clara College, followed the flag overseas, and Father T. C. O'Connell, pastor of St. Patrick's Church, spent more than a year on the fighting front, offering his chaplaincy in the service of the boys.
The first idea of Christmas cheer came to Eleanor A. Brown, and she talked it over with five other San Jose girls--Marion Goldsmith, Marion Cassin, Maud Thomas, Evelyn Johnson and Luita Arnold.
At the Chamber of Commerce on November 1, 1917, there was a meeting. Eleanor Brown and her five girl friends met with representatires of the Chamber of Commerce, the Rotary Club, the Red Cross, Y. W. C. A., Y. M. C. A., and the Woman's Club and other organizations to make plans and perfect some kind of working committee. J. J. McDonald was made chairman and Luita Arnold secretary. Other present were Mrs. Charles Osenbaugh, Brownie Schillingsburg, Mrs. W. B. Irish, Mrs. Arthur Langford, Mrs. Claude Winans, Dr. M. E. Dailey, Charles R. Parkinson, W. T. Rambo, and Joseph T. Brooks. The intention was just to lovingly send to each boy in trench or camp, a Christmas remembrance "from the folks at home." Committee leaders were quickly selected. Finance, Eleanor Brown; publicity, Mrs. A. B. Langford; to secure the names of the boys, Mrs. W. B. Irish; supplies, Mrs. Claude A. Winans; box packing committee, Mrs. N. J. Gray. Later Mrs. F. J. Loel, Mrs. S. L. Cunningham, Mrs. W. M. Beggs, Mrs. J. J. McDonald, Judge W. A. Beasly and Jay McCabe were added to the general committee. More and more were added until San Jose simply became a committee of the whole to see to it that not one boy from home was forgotten. Mrs. Claude A. Winans shared her committeeship with Mrs. Bert Goldsmith, Mrs. J. E. Hancock, Mrs. D. L. Smith and Mrs. A. D. Grant. That gave the Woman's Club a place of prominence in the supply department and the club recognized its Christmas honors by offering to pack the boxes.
The Boy Scouts accomplished wonders raising in one day $1175.80. The original plan called for 500 Uoxes. There were at least 900 that went as Christmas cheer to the boys at the front. In addition to the box 300 pounds of candy were sent. The boxes contained raisins, prunes, nuts, candy, cakes, toilet articles, local papers, Jack Graham's songs and San Jose's Christmas greeting. The first thing to catch the recipient's attention would be the city's greeting. Its warm heartedness must have seemed like a handclasp across the distance--the handclasp of a friend!
"San Jose bids her soldier boys, wherever they may be, a Merry Christmas. We would like to have you think of San Jose not as a collection of houses and stores, a mere hive of busy people, but as a living personality whose heart warms to you who have left home to defend our beloved country in this time of danger. We would convey to you a bright reflection of out Christmas cheer. We miss you from our firesides and amid the rejoicing of the holiday season we are at once sad and proud that you are absent. We call upon you the blessing of Him in whose name the Christmas feast is spread. Christ was born to bring peace and goodwill unto all the world. You have given yourselves to the same cause; for peace and goodwill cannot thrive in the same world with Kaiserism. As on Christmas day your thoughts turn lovingly toward home, our hearts' best wishes go forth to you. Thomas H. Reed, City Manager of San Jose."
In preparation for the third liberty loan, Dr. W. C. Bailey was made chairman for Santa Clara County, John D. Kuster declining to serve again. Dr. Bullitt, Judge Gosbey and Joe Brooks, a chorus of Normal School girls, forty voices strong, and numbers of patriotic citizens carried out an educational campaign that covered the county. H. D. Melvin visited all lodges and patriotic pledges were secured with the assistance of J. E. Hancock, Judge Gosbey, S. G. Tompkins, Arthur M. Free and Alexander Sheriffs, speakers of powerful conviction. Dan J. Flannery's Speakers' Committee consisted of A. V. Shubert, Victor Challen, Arthur Curtner and Judge Urban A. Sontheimer.
H. W. McComas, chairman of the Four Minute Men marshaled his force of twenty-five speakers early in the campaign. The Woman's Mobilized Army, with its powerful organization of more than 1400 under the colonel, Mrs. L. T. Smith, the lieut.-colonel, Mrs. D. A. Beattie and Liberty loan chairman Mrs. C. A. Wayland combined with the War Work Council.
Saturday, April 6, 1918, designated "Liberty Day," opened the third Liberty Loan drive with one of the grandest educational military demonstrations in Luna Park ever staged in Santa Clara Countv. As a result almost $1,000,000 of Santa Clara County's quota of $2,605,000 was raised. The committee in charge of the Luna Park spectacle was a bank committee, consisting of Geo. B. Campbell, cashier of the Security State Bank, chairman; J. H. Russell, R. D. Pearce, D. S. Glendenning, C. A. Baronne, Bank of Italy; A. D. Baker, W. E. Drew, First National Bank; Waldo E. Lowe and M. B. Davis, Bank of San Jose; Lester Hyde and Percv Thompson, Garden City Bank; Harold Ahlman, George Pierson, Security State Bank.
The burden of the campaign fell to the lot of the ten committeemen under the Liberty loan leaders. These committeemen were John D. Crummey, Alexander Sheriffs, A. D. Curtner, Louis Campiglia, Henry M. Ayer, Chas. M. O'Brien, Chas. R. Parkinson, Elton R. Shaw, E. A. Richmond, Alexander Hart, Walter G. Matthewson, Howell D. Melvin. Henry Hirsch became special inspector for the San Jose district to see that the plans were carried out.
Not every one purchased bonds voluntarily. Everywhere workers met concrete evidence of insidious German propaganda. The list of chose refusing to buy bonds increased to such an extent that the Santa Clara County investigating and educational committee, with John D. Kuster as chairman, came into the campaign. Other members of this organization were J. W. Grimes, Albert Kayser, V. H. Wylie, A. A. Halsey, A. M. Free, F. J. McHenry, Fred L. Fehren, A. G. Du Brutz, Judge P. F. Gosbey, Sam G. Tompkins, Herbert C. Jones. These men did not shirk their unwelcome task. Over 900 cases were investigated and the members' services were invaluable.
On April 16, 1918, San Jose was electrified by the news that Lieut. Douglas Campbell had won the French War Cross by bringing down a German plane and capturing the pilot.
Shortly before noon on Liberty Day, April 26, the message came that San Jose and the county had gone "over the top." It was a great campaign that ended officially on May 4, 1918, with not only the full quota of bonds subscribed and the population requirements met, but an amount credited to Santa Clara County for more than $800,000 above the allotment and 12,136 more investors than during the second loan. The most sanguine hopes that came into existence with the organization of the War Work Council in March, 1918, had been realized. Each member of the Council gave to the members of the Women's Mobilized Army the fullest credit for the splendid results.
During the strenuous campaign an advisory committee met every day at the War Work Council headquarters to "talk things over and devise ways and means." Of the following faithful members of this committee many gave at least fifty per cent of their time to the work and others, finding that business interfered with their patriotism simply gave up their business, devoting all their time and energy to the interests of "backing up the boys": Byron Millard, A. B. Post, Judge W. A. Beasly, Dr. James B. Bullitt, S. G. Tompkins, W. S. Clayton, W. E. Bauer, V. J. La Motte, Louis Campiglia, Arthur M. Free, H. L. Baggerly, Wilbur J. Edwards, E. K. Johnston, H. G. Coykendall, W. G. Alexander, Frank J. Somers, George N. Herbert, John D. Kuster and D. T. Bateman.
Special committeemen were Thomas H. Reed, Karl M. Stull, Victor Palmer, Alvin Long, Sheldon R. Wills, F. A. Nikirk, Frank L. Baker, D. J. Flannery, Victor Challen, Judge Urban A. Sontheimer, Arthur B. Langford, Brooks Tompkins, F. E. Chapin and Wilson E. Albee.
Preparations were now made for the fourth Liberty loan drive. One or two changes altered the war work council chart. Dr. W. C.
Bailey became chairman of the Santa Clara County War Work council; Joseph M. Parker, chairman of the Santa Clara County fourth Liberty loan committee; Louis Campiglia, chairman San Jose War Work council; E. H. Foster, secretary; Arthur H. Curtner, treasurer; Dr. James B. Bullitt, statistician.
The campaign did not open officially until September 28, 1918, but long before the "big day" everyone was at work. The 750 men of the war work council and the 1400 workers of the women's army comprised the Volunteer day force to take charge of the "voting booths" in every precinct and polling place throughout the county. Arthur Curtner gave a "get acquainted" dinner to all district leaders at the Montgomery Hotel on the evening of September 20th, J. M. Parker making the principal speech. Blind Al Herr, newsboy, bought the first bond on Monday, September 23. His cane guided him to headquarters. Some throats choked a bit when Blind Al held out fifty dollars for some unseen hand to take.
Volunteer day, September 27, 1918, will go down in history as one of the greatest days in the chronicles of the county. On that day, practically without any solicitation, the county subscribed $3,258,650 to the fourth Liberty loan bonds, $1,701,250 of that amount belonging to San Jose. The honor flag offered for the largest number of subscriptions in a precinct in proportion to the population went to precinct No. 37 in charge of F. A. Van Dorsten, director, and Charles M. O'Brien, vice chairman. Out of 373 registered voters 62 per cent made bond subscriptions. This precinct at Wilson's garage, 899 South Fifteenth street, listed among its workers Joseph T. Brooks, Edward Johnson, Ben Brown, H. Trephagen, Mrs. W. G. Alexander, May Hoffman, Hattie Hoffman, Miss Jones, Mrs. H. H. Madsen, Mrs. L. P. Edwards, Mrs. P. D. During, Mrs. C. B. Mason and Mrs. J. R. Bailey.
The honor flag for the largest amount of subscriptions totaling $68,850, was proudly carried away by Crandallville precinct No. 2 in charge of Alexander Sherriffs, vice chairman, and W. J. Lean, director. Other workers were W. B. Irish, Daisy Cozzens, Reta Angus, Hattie Prindiville, Mrs. R. H. Topham, Anna Mathews and Bessie Crowfoot. D. M. Denegri did yeoman service among the Italian-speaking population, obtaining notable results from the employees of the Greco cannery. All canners and their hundreds of workers stood solidly behind the loan. William Halla covered Chinatown and found bond subscriptions piling up after the news came that young Sing Kee, son of Chung Kee, had been awarded the Distinguished Service Cross. Sing Kee, the only Chinese soldier in Company G, Three Hundred and Sixth Infantry, deserved that decoration and the Croix de Guerre which came to him later. He stood for 48 hours at an advance post with wireless apparatus sending messages back to his commander after the post had been abandoned by the entire company. Sing Kee fought in many battles and spent a month in the hospital at Tours following a severe experience with mustard gas during a Hun attack. A letter of congratulation went to Sing Kee from his fellow townsmen of the War Work Council. The Japanese subscribed $50,000. The service flag dedicated at St. Joseph's on Oct. 6, 1918, held almost one-third of the San Jose stars. On Saturday, Oct. 19, 1918, bells, horns and whistles announced victory. Santa Clara County was credited with an oversubscription of $826,650.
Judge P. F. Gosbey of the Council of Defense made the following acknowledgment of Parker's able leadership: "I wish to express the appreciation of the Santa Clara county division of the Council of Defense for the excellent work done by J. M. Parker during the fourth Liberty loan campaign. It was largely due to his efforts and to those of his able assistants that the campaign was carried through in this city and county to such great success. The result will always stand as a monument to Joseph M. Parker's ability and loyalty." In the fourth loan San Jose had 20,075 subscribers. The total bond subscription was $3,595,000, per capita average of $179. For the county, subscribers 11,662, amount $1,899,700, per capita $163. City and county subscribers, 31,735; amount $5,494,700. per capita $173. In this loan 29.4 per cent of the population subscribed as against 19 per cent subscribing for the third loan.
While priest and Protestant clergymen ministered to the men of all nationalities and creeds on the battlefields where all differences were forgotten in a common cause, in the homeland there developed a new bond of brotherhood. A splendid demonstration of this broader understanding was the "Seven in One" campaign in November, 1918, when seven great war work organizations united under one banner. Santa Clara County sounded an unanimous call for Arthur D. Curtner to be its drive leader. This intensely patriotic American was an outstanding figure because of his magnificent service in all war work undertaken by the community. The assisting committee represented each local organization. Y. M. C. A., Herbert C. Jones; National Catholic War Council, including Knights of Columbus, M. E. Griffith; War Camp Community Service, E. N. Richmond; Y. W. C. A., Mrs. L. T. Smith; Jewish Welfare Board, U. S. army and navy, J. H. Levy; Salvation Army, J. M. Parker; American Library Association, Stella Huntington. Santa Clara County's quota was raised with an oversubscription of $25,000.
The fifth Victory loan drive was carried to success against great handicaps. The war was over and there was indifference in the public mind. J. M. Parker was the drive leader par excellence. He stirred up the workers and all went well. W. S. Clayton and John R. Chace broke their own records by securing $318,000 in bond subscriptions in four days. A unique stunt was the Volunteer Day air circus staged by James B. Leaman, F. E. Chapin and A. E. Holmes. Airplanes from Mather Field circled above the county, dropping 15,000 Victory loan dodgers. On May Day, 1919, came the big reception and parade to honor the boys who had gone to the front and had come back heroes. On the night of May 10, 1919, the drive passed into history--an oversubscription, as usual.
With the establishment of Camp Fremont only twenty
miles away, and soldiers coming to San Jose by hundreds, a place had to
be provided where they might rest, read and write and eat. The Chamber
of Commerce lost no time. Its president, Dr. W. C. Bailey, immediately
appointed Chas. R. Parkinson
chairman of a committee to provide a soldiers' recreation fund. An old fund left over from a rose carnival amounting to several hundred dollars, with accrued interest, was in the hands of Alexander Hart, the carnival treasurer. This amount was turned over to the committee as a starter and made possible the opening of rooms in the Chamber of Commerce building. Help wvas needed, as the boys kept coming, and accordingly a committee of eight was appointed by the Women's National Council of Defense to co-operate with the Chamber of Commerce. The members were Mrs. Nicholas Bowden, Mrs. D. A. Beattie, Mrs. Lester Morse, Mrs. J. W. Davy, Mrs. W. L. Woodrow, Mrs. J. E. Hancock, Mrs. Louis Sonniksen, Mrs. R. R. Johnston and Mrs. C. R. Parkinson, chairman. There was a reception and 200 soldiers attended. Forty women made themselves responsible for the club. Mrs. W. L. Woodrow was appointed chairman of the canteen; Mrs. Frank Leib, secretary; Mrs. S. A. Appleton, treasurer; Mrs. C. R. Parkinson, director of service. Upon the abandoning of Camp Fremont the club was closed. The dishes and furnishings were given to worthy charities and to the center for women in industry established by the Y. W. C. A.
To help the Belgians San Jose did her part from first to last. In January, 1915, at the call of Herbert Hoover, Dr. W. C. Bailey, president of the Chamber of Commerce, called an important meeting, which resulted in $2,600 worth of foodstuffs being sent to Belgium. The drive for funds was engineered entirely by the Chamber of Commerce with Fred L. Foster as the capable and energetic publicity agent. The real organization was perfected in the fall of 1915, and headquarters established in a room in the Chamber of Commerce building.
The first work under the new organization, with Mrs. J. W. Davy chairman, was the raising of a voluntary subscription of $2400 for the purchase of new clothing. After the big mass meeting which resulted in the shipment of warm new clothing, the monthly pledges became a feature of the relief. These pledges, voluntarily signed, were the means of sending from San Jose $400 a month in the beginning; that increased to $600 and the last month's gift amounted to $1300. Approximately $15,000 totaled the local subscriptions to this relief fund and that amount does not include the first funds of $2600 for foodstuffs and $2400 for new clothing, which were forwarded through the Stanford Fund before the San Jose organization was complete.
In all there were four drives for clothing. Two of them were made in conjunction with the National Red Cross. More than 25 tons of clothing were shipped overseas as the result of appeals made during these four drives. One remarkable record of helpfulness was made by the Comforts Forwarding committee of the Christian Science Church, who gathered at their North First street headquarters one-tenth of all the clothing sent to Belgium during the last drive. From the Home of Truth on North Fifth street there has been issued no record of the unlimited amount of money and clothing they have sent across the sea. Working independently they forwarded hundreds of dollars and box after box of clothing directly to Madame de Hemptine, a Belgian woman who conducted a refugee house at Calais. From first to last no money was used for administration of this great mercy fund. Every cent collected for Belgian Relief went to Belgium, sent by Jack Russell, of the Bank of Italy, who acted as treasurer.
The committee who served with Mrs. J. W. Davy in this great humanitarian work were Miss Ida Wehner, Mrs. W. A. Beasly, Mrs. S. G. Tompkins, Mrs. Charles R. Parkinson, Mrs. Thomas Blanchard, Mrs. Edwin A. Wilcox, Mrs. Everett Bailey, Mrs. D. A. Beattie, Mrs. J. E. Bell, Mrs. W. A. Johnson, Mrs. A. P. Post, Mrs. W. P. Lyon, Mrs. H. L. Baggerly, Mrs. George Herbert, Mrs. Nicholas Bowden, Mrs. David Burnett, Mrs. Edward Sterling, Mrs. Paul Clark, Mrs. Louis Sonniksen, Mrs. Willard C. Bailey, Mrs. Leonard Stocking, Mrs. Robert Syer, DIrs. E. C. Singletary, Mrs. George B. McKee, Mrs. Glendenning, Mrs. E. C. Richmond, Mrs. Jay Elder, Mrs. M. E. Faull, Mrs. Charles K. Wayland, Mrs. Arthur Field, Mrs. T. H. Reed, Mrs. W. L. Woodrow, Mrs. W. P. Dougherty, Mrs. W. A. Waterhouse and Mrs. W. W. Campbell. In the schools Miss Mary Helen Post was in charge of the work at the Normal, Mrs. Mary Smith, Washington School, and Miss Elizabeth McSwain at the high school.
Thousands of dollars went from San Jose for Armenian and Serbian Relief. During two intensive drives for the suffering and starving people across the sea the local response amounted to more than $38,000.00.
When the appealing needs of the Armenians became urgent, a meeting at the Y. W. C. A., on March 11, 1918, started the first big drive. Judge F. B. Brown led this campaign and J. D. Crummey took the treasurership. The amount apportioned locally was $12,000 with $3000 to come from the county outside of San Jose. The one fact of this relief fund being administered by a New York man who paid all expense so that every cent collected might go to Armenia was a feature of the drive. The entire quota was met under the efficient leadership of Jjudge Brown and Mr. Crummey aided by the following executive committee, Captains and assistants at headquarters:
Executive committee: Judge F. B. Brown, Mrs. W. A. Alexander, Rev. R. S. Emrich, Rev. E. A. King, Hon. H. Jones and Mrs. D. A. Beattie. At headquarters: Mrs. Flickinger, Mrs. Hull and Miss Bishop who represented Mr. Crummey. Captains: Mrs. F. M. Eley, Mrs. D. W. Gilchrist, Mrs. J. W. Lewis, Mrs. M. V. McCurdy, Mrs. Charles Crothers, Mrs. A. T. Hermann, Mrs. E. A. Wilcox, Mrs. L. Richards, E. V. Busch, A. G. Wilkins and George N. Herbert.
James Beatty, manager of the Liberty Theater, presented the committee through George N. Herbert's team with 200 theater tickets for each month of the year, a gift that supported 10 children for the entire period. The crest of giving came on Saturday, March 6, 1918, with a response of $4,222.00 San Jose's entire Armenian subscription during this "Judge Brown drive" took care of 1598 children, 1000 men and 1000 women in the destitute country that looked to California for help and did not look in vain.
The second drive for allied relief, headed by Charles M. O'Brien, chairman, and carried out with the machinery of the War Work Council, began January 14, 1919. With a quota of $22,000, asked over $23,000 was given. The armistice silenced the guns and out of that silence the cry for help came. From the beginning the Joffre Club, Club La France, the San Jose branch of civil and military relief under the direction of Mrs. Victor Cauhapé sent hundreds of dollars and tons and tons of supplies, while societies and individuals adopted French orphans.
The county members of the War Work Council did their part nobly during the war. They were:
Alviso--Geo. E. Nicholson, chairman; W. F. Robideaux, D. B. Wade, W. F. Zankors, A. Standish, J. M. Fords, Geo. T. Gallagher, H. J. Richards, committeemen.
Cupertino--W. B. Calvert, chairman; John Ludy, Paul Goodhue, Chas. Lowe, Dr. A. M. Coleman, Anton Pichetti, C. L. Rich, vice-chairman. Committeemen--G. A. Blair, C. D. Bambauer, W. A. Buick, Grant Barton, A. McDonald, I. A. Ball, F. A. Ball, Paul Coolidge, M. L. Dow, K. A. Friedrich, C. R. Forge, E. H. Freeman, J. Frost, Paul Jones, W. Jellyman, H. H. Mosher, E. J. Parrish, W. Pasly, Jas. Patterson, E. N. Pettit, F. M. Pfeifer, Chas. Rostand, F. A. Taft, O. B. Woods, C. E. Warren.
Campbell--J. C. Ainsley, chairman; W. Eckles, J. E. Weisendanger, W. T. Hobson. John F. Duncan, Geo. L. Parso, Earl Knapp, vice-chairmen; J. L. Hagelin, Hiram Hutton, A. C. Keesling, W. H. Lloyd, Geo. Payne, S. G. Rodeck, Harry H. Smith, C. H. Whitman, H. E. Brandenberg, B. O. Curry, Dr. C. M. Cooper, William Coupland, E. A. Colby, Frank Dunucan, C. E. Hanger.
Evergreen--J. P. Shambeau, chairman; committeemen--Albert A. Anderson, Peter Bennett, A. H. Burk, R. H. Beck, H. L. Coates, W. L. Edwards, John A. Fair, I. Gover, Fred Hassler, Henry I. Hart, M. J. Haley, John S. Hensell, J. O. Hansen, Henry Krehe, W. A. Kammerer, Clem A. Kettman, Frank H. Kampfen, Theo. Klein, A. L. Leal, Fred May, Fred Martin, N. Macher, L. Monferino, A. R. McClay, August Nelson, F. W. Osterman, Manuel Pereira, Wm. Provan, Francis Smith, Michael Tierney, Fred Weld, E. B. Williams.
Gilroy--E. D. Crawford, chairman; committeemen--John Abincino, A. S. Baldwin, Dan Burr, A. W. Cox, H. Carl, Percy Dexter, C. H. Emlen, W. G. Fitzgerald, H. Hecker, H. S. Hersman, Chas. Lester, Tracy Learned, A. A. Martin, R. M. Martin, Fay McQuilkin, H. E. Robinson, Wm. Sawyer, G. A. Wentz.
Los Gatos--J. D. Farwell, chairman; J. A. Case, J. W. Crider, L. E. Johns, H. L. Lloyd, Ed Howes, J. C. Walker, C. F. Hamsher, Z. S. Riggo, C. H. Squire, Dr. H. E. Smith, J. B. Stewart.
Morgan Hill--C. F. Drewry, chairman; John Acton, Wm. H. Adams, J. C. Ahorn, Robt. Britton, B. Bosqui, Chas. Beck, D. H. Bechis, Luther Cunningham, F. V. Edwards, E. F. Eastman, R. H. Patchell, Irwin E. Payne, H. A. Pepen, C. P. Simpson.
Burnett--Peter Raggio, chairman; P. H. Kirby, P. A. Walsh, E. L. Norton.
Encinal--Frank Stevens, chairman; H. A. Peppin, Burt Stevens, Peter Ramelli.
Llagas--T. A. Hester, chairman; W. H. Adams, Harry Wright, C. P. Simpson.
Machado--R. K. Patchell, chairman; Robert Britton, D. W. Strickenberg.
San Martin--R. S. Robinson, chairman; Chas. Beck, H. Robinson, M. T. Gwinn.
Uvas--Giles Bradley, chairman; Ben Bosqui, Ed Eastman.
Milpitas--E. P. Giacomazzi, chairman; G. A. Abell. Lawrena Barker, A. L. Crabb, Lawrence Hansen, Dr. R. J. Smith, A. M. Silva. Jr.
Mountain View--W. L. Camp, chairman; Dr. C. E.
Adams, F. B. Abbott, W. F. Bubb, A. M. Crittenden, Geo. Chickorich, C.
H. Clark, H. G. Childs, H. G. Copeland, L. Drake, T. J. Evans, Edwin Earl,
Hans Ehlers, M. Farrell, Chas. A. Gray, Fred P. Hauck, W. F. Hyde, B. W.
Hollman, Barney Job, A. Jurian,
Frank Jackson, W. N. Jess, P. Klein, J. E. Johnson, Jas. Logue, Chas. N. Lake, F. Marcov, J. S. Mockbee, Chas. E. Marcum, P. D. Newman, F. S. Oliver, Geo. S. Parkinson, A. S. Robinson, H. A. Rengstroff, P. M. Smith, Geo. Swall, Guy Shoup, J. J. Taylor, L. H. Watson, O. W. Whaley, R. O. Winnegar, S. A. Winnegar, Chas. W. Wright, Wm. P. Wright, R. H. Walker.
Berryessa--Harry Curry, chairman; Albert Foster, Floyd Lundy, W. E. Moore, Joe Rodrigues, J. W. Smith.
Eagle--L. F. Graham, chairman; C. A. Borchers, James T. Murphy, John P. Vennum.
Orchard--J. J. O'Brien. chairman; W. B. Clark, Frank A. Leis, Richard McCarthy.
Mt. Hamilton--Dr. Wm. W. Campbell, chairman; Dr. R. C. Aitken, Mr. Beach, R. H. Tucker, J. Hoover, Dr. J. H. Moore, E. H. Robinson, Lester Hubbard, Paul Gerber, F. Knobloch.
Palo Alto--G. R. Parkinson, chairman; B. G. Allen, W. H. Adams, J. R. Andrus, L. E. Bassett, Jas. Basye, W. J. Biehl, L. S. Bean, Ira G. Betts, J. H. Borden, M. A. Buchan, L. L. Burlingame, J. D. Byxbee, Jr., Geo. F. Brown, Geo. J. Carey, Ed Cashel, A. M. Cathcart, C. E. Childs, A. B. Clark, B. W. Crandall, H. F. Congdon, C. P. Cooley, W. A. Cooper, D. C. Craig, William Transton, J. L. Dixon, J. Dudfield, I. J. Dollingo, Rev. David Evans, O. M. Easterday, Chas. Ellett, Alfred Engle, J. F. Farrell, R. S. Faxson, Mrs. Fred Fowler, Mrs. Marion H. Fowler, James Frazer, Dr. D. Chas. Gardner, C. H. Gilbert. Rev. J. M. Gleason, J. E. Greene, R. L. Green, N. W. Gleaser, F. W. Heckett, V. V. Harrier, Theo. J. Hoover, T. Hopkins, Rev. Walter Hays, E. A. Hettinger, J. E. Hesston, C. A. Huston, W. O. Horabin, A. M. Hackett, J. Jury, F. K. Kasson, W. H. Kelly, Miss Mary I. Lockey, Kee Leung, P. M. Lansdale, Egerton Lakin, J. B. Larkin, G. Laumeister, George Lillie, R. N. Malone, Miss Maud Manaton, C. D. Marx, W. R. Mendenhall, G. E. Mercer, F. J. M. Miles, J. P. Mitchell, W. E. Miller, H. J. Moule, A. L. Murry, A. K. Macoon, J. E. McDowell, W. H. Nichols, Louis Olsen, E. T. Pennock, Prof. G. F. Pierce, Capt. S. M. Parker, G. C. Price, W. W. Price, J. F. Pryor, Robt. C. Ray, O. O. Rhodes, Roger M. Roberts, F. Schneider, A. Seale, H. W. Simkins, J. R. Slonaker, N. B. Smith, J. O. Snyder, W. E. Southwood, Mrs. Maud A. Stratton, R. E. Swain, E. C. Thoits, Ray Saylor, T. Goshida, J. C. Thiele, M. H. Tichnor, Monroe Thomas, S. D. Townley, Louis Taylor, T. Uchizono, S. M. Vandervoort, D. S. Watson, R. J. Wells, Ray Lyman Wilbur, Geo. Williams, E. I. Irving, Herbert Wilson, Chas. Weeks, W. K. Woolery, A. E. Worthy, R. H. Wiley.
Pala--Charles Turner, chairman; J. W. Anderson, Edward I. Field, J. P. Lacerda, Andrew Patton, J. F. Pyle.
Saratoga--Dr. I. G. Hogg, chairman; Rev. B. Z. Bazata, L. C. Dick, S. P. Patterson. J. L. Richards.
Sunnyvale--C. C. Spaulding, chairman; F. X. Boden, J. M. Brown, F. E. Cornell, Frank Farry, F. B. Hughes, W. A. Larman, Rev. C. G. Marshall, Rev. H. J. Roberts, W. R. Roberts, C. W. Shepard, C. W. Spalding. Leo. H. Vishoot, J. H. Hendy, F. C. Wilson, J. C. Sutherland, J. F. Holthouse, A. P. Freeman.
Valley View--J. L. Mosher, chairman; Nelson Barton, Oscar Benson, Jerry Cannon, Fred P. Hauck, Harry Johnson, Jack Mayne.
Santa Clara--Dr. A. E. Osborne, chairman; P. A. Brangier, Alfred L. Brown, W. T. Brown, Jos. Boschken, Robert Fatjo, Chas. Grimmer, P. Hayes, Geo. Hamilton, Ralph Martin, J. B. O'Brien, I. A. Pomeroy, Geo. A. Penniman, Robert Porter, Henry R. Roth, Chas. D. South, F. R. Shafter, W. S. Sullivan, Dr. L. Stockton, F. A. Wilcox, B. F. Weston, I. A. Wilcox.
Franklin--S. W. Pfeifle, chairman; John Barry, F. H. Buck, J. Jepson, Fred G. Wool.
Oak Grove--O. Christofer, chairman; C. W. Aby, Chas. Frost, Jr., A. C. Robertson, J. H. Swickard.
Santa Clara County sent to the front nearly 3000 soldiers. Following are the names of our men who made the supreme sacrifice:
Elias Ananstasion, Joseph F. Andrade, Harvey C.
Barnes, Joseph Basseile, Robert J. Bennett, Barnard M. Bustard, Antonio
Camastro, Joseph L. Cancilla, Louis V. Castro. Hugh L. Carney, Harrison
J. Cleaver, Charles C. Crews, Arthur C. Chiles, Charles C. Cook, William
Couch, William F. Covill, Thomas J. Clunie, William M. de la Rochelle,
Frank Devoney, John J. Dorsey, Robbecole Disappa, Ray F. Dugdale, Norman
Dunbar, Elmer H. Flagg, Elmer L. Fresher, James G. Ferguson, Hiram B. Fisher,
Ben Garcia, Toney P. Gomes, Lorne A. Goode, Wilmer J. Gross, Fred A. Hall,
Carl J. Hagel, Frank J. Hagen, Jr., Walter Hartman, Walter A. Hilden, Mervyn
J. Hoadley, Maltria Hugeback, Jarvis J. Johnson, Joseph F. Kelly, Arthur
C. Kimber, Ralph V. Leggett, Walter Logan, Leo J. McCauley, Maurice F.
Manha, Lester J. McKinley, David E. McComel, Bruno Montorosso, Frank J.
Murrin, Salvatore Muro, Daniel J. Narvies, Allan H. Nichols, Frank H. Nichols,
Frank J. Nunes, Mervin Neugrass, Charles H. Pappassi, Antone Parades, Joe
Prader, John E. Pashote, Albert G. Perkins, Manuel Q. Perry, A. E. Preston,
John F. Pereira, Paul J. Pinnola, Angelo R. Pinto, John Pourroy, John Regan,
Ernest R. Rines, Leon Roberts, Joseph L. Rose, Manuel R. Rose, J. S. Rumsey,
Seeley T. Shaw, Fredrick E. Sanders, Elvyn B. Sedam, Gilbert Spencer, Harry
N. Schneider. Lawrence W. Schrier, Ira M. Smith, Anton Sigurd, Sidney W.
Simpson, Thomas Short, John G. Sturlo, Joseph V. Spingola, Verne I. Taylor,
John L. Timosci, Frank B. Tost, Nick J. Vaccarello, Manuel J. Vargas, John
J. Voss, Clark B. Waterhouse, Harold Wolf, Albert F. Wooley, Earl C. Young.