Extractions from
by John P. Young
Pacific Coast and Exposition Biographies
San Francisco, California, 1915

Thank you to Beth Humphrey for transcribing and submitting this material.

Joseph B. Coryell (page 251)

     For more than a quarter of a century Joseph Belleau Coryell has bee a part of the business life of San Francisco and California.  Starting in a small way, he has advanced step by step until today his interests are among the most important in the State.  And he has acquired them all by keen foresight, close application and the ability to grasp an opportunity when it appeared to him.
     When the late E. H. Harriman, some years ago, was just beginning to extend his holdings in the West, and needed a representative of proved ability on this coast, he chose Mr. Coryell as the man for the place.  Subsequently Mr. Coryell did much valuable work for the railroad magnate.  One of the direct results was that he was offered the presidency of a railroad, but this he declined, preferring to devote himself to his private projects.  He is still interested in Harriman affairs.
     A native of San Francisco, Mr. Coryell was born June 4, 1871.  His father was Dr. John R. Coryell, at one time a widely known physician, and his mother was Zoe Christine (Belleau) Coryell.
     Following his education Mr. Coryell, after casting about for a bit, looking over the field with an eye to the future, decided that the real estate business offered unusual advantages.  Accordingly he opened a real estate office in San Francisco in 1888.  Real estate has been his forte ever since, although he had branched out in a number of other directions as an investor.
     In the course of his activities Mr. Coryell began pondering growth of the city and the directions in which it was most likely to expand.  Land that he believed to be well situated he acquired, and it was not long before his prognostications began coming true.  Today he owns more spur-track property than any other man in San Francisco.
     It is largely by reason of his operations on Islais Creek, however, that Mr. Coryell has become locally famous for his keep business foresight.  “Nerve” is the only word that expresses the opinion of San Francisco financiers and realty dealers when first they saw Mr. Coryell begin the acquirement of the blocks of mud flats on the south side of Islais Creek.  No man, they reasoned, could possibly risk his money on those unsightly swamps unless he were possessed of colossal nerve.
     This Mr. Coryell had, without doubt.  And the very ones who declared at the time that the future was too uncertain to risk such an investment have long since expressed their complete respect for the wisdom of the man; for the new San Francisco harbor project on Islais Creek has become a reality, for which a condemnations have been carried on under which is known as the India Basin Act by the State of California.
     With his wonderful foresight Mr. Coryell saw, what everyone else seemed blind to, that nowhere else on the San Francisco waterfront were there lands a available in the future for manufacturing purposes.  He saw, too, that the terminal building operations of the three great transcontinental railroads entering California must, of necessity, group themselves about Islais Creek especially since the franchise for the Southern Pacific and the Santa Fe’s joint line on Kentucky street bound the two railroads to build a steel drawbridge over the Islais channel on demand.
     He could not overlook this assembling of railroad terminal facilities in the heart of the only waterfront land left in San Francisco available for factory purposes; nor that the interests around Islais Creek, railroad, lumber and the like, already established, were going to demand the clearing and deepening of that waterway.  Here was in sight a combination of land and water shipping facilities unequaled anywhere. To a far-seeing man like Mr. Coryell the possibilities were obvious.
     He had the nerve to back his judgment and the initiative to put it into effect.  He was alone in both.  He is the only man who has spent his money to improve lands on San Francisco’s waterfront in anticipation of the coming large influx of manufacturers.  And as a result of this purchases on Islais Creek he is now the largest individual owner of waterfront property in the city.  All the rest is held either by the State, the city or by private corporations, which are making use of it.
     To men of stanch hearts and unswerving loyalty and hope – men like Joseph B. Coryell – San Francisco owes her bigger and better existence as the metropolis of the West.

Hamden H. Noble (page 308)

     It is to such men as Hamden H. Noble – men whose integrity and stamina are combined with a progressivism that keeps them really ahead of their times – that California owes much of her wonderful growth and prosperity ass a State.  He is one of those who have given the very best that was in them to California; and the results have b been far-reaching and permanent.
     Posterity will remember Mr. Nobel, if for nothing else, at least for his pioneer work in the converting of electric current into heat for the treatment of iron ores in smelting.  In 1906 he organized and became president of the Noble Electric Steel Company, a project characterized by the Journal of Electricity in its column as “one of the nerviest ever fostered in California.”  It opened up a new era in the marketing of pigiron produced in this country, for until the new system was introduced the smelting of iron ores in the United States was considered commercially unprofitable owing to the difficulty in obtaining suitable coking coal.
     In a few words this same trade journal tells of the struggle to perfect Mr. Noble’s idea, when it says:  “The story of the development of this smelter, the heartbreaking trials, costly delays, unforeseen misfortunes, repeated failures, always bolstered up and ready to go at it again by the indomitable courage and unswerving faith of these men, held together and helped and reassured through the untiring energy of their leader (Mr. Noble), will add a chapter to the glorious history of California which, next to the satisfaction of the success that it will chronicle, will be a fitting tribute to the genius of faith and daring.”
     Mr. Noble, the recipient of this unusual mark of esteem, is a native of Fairfield, Maine.  He was born August 16, 1844, the son of James Wellington Noble, farmer and carriage builder, and Louisa (Knox) Noble.  The younger Mr. Noble attended the public schools of his birthplace until the age of 18 when – on September 9, 1862 – he was mustered into the United States Army as a private in Company B, 24th Regiment of Maine Infantry.  After serving for 18 months he was honorable discharged on account of illness, and came to California in October, 1864, to regain his lost vitality.
     Mr. Noble’s first business experience was as a clerk in the wholesale paper concern of George W. Clark.  After five years he went to White Pine, Nevada, and for two years engaged in mining and lumbering, after which he returned to San Francisco.  Purchasing a seat on the San Francisco Stock Exchange Mr. Noble operated on the board for the succeeding quarter of a century, resigning in 1895, after an unusually fruitful career.
     The Cypress Lawn Cemetery Association, of which he remains vice-president to this day, was organized by Mr. Noble in 1892.  He also formed the Cypress Lawn Improvement Company, of which he is president.  In 1900 he organized the Northern California Power Company, and later on the Keswick Electric Power Company, consolidated.  He is at present chairman of the board of directors of the corporation, whose offices are in San Francisco.
     The plant of the Noble Electric Steel Company, that project which has brought forth so much commendation from the business and mining interests of California, is located on the north back of the Pitt river in Shasta County, on the Sacramento Valley & Eastern Railway.  Immediately back of the plant is a veritable mountain of magnetite iron ore having a percentage of seventy in metallic iron.  The success of the electrical furnace is an assured fact.
     Mr. Noble is interested in several other commercial and industrial enterprises in addition to those already touched upon.  Among these is the newly formed West Coast-San Francisco Life Insurance Company, of which he is a director.

Howard C. Holmes (page 277)

     In this day and age we have come to take nearly everything for granted.  A big engineering project makes life easier for us – we accept it without further ado.  Only a few of us go behind the achievement and consider the ingenuity it typifies, or the man who made it possible.
     One of the first things noticed by a visitor to San Francisco is the city’s famous ferry terminal.  This was built under the direction of Howard Carlton Holmes, civil and consulting engineer, who has conceived and put into execution so many projects as to make himself an exception to the general rule that the men behind achievements of this sort are little known.   Rather, he is recognized up and down the Pacific Coast as one of the foremost engineers west of the Rocky Mountains.
     Since the age of seventeen Mr. Holmes has been identified with engineering.  He was born June 10, 1854, at Nantucket, Massachusetts, and when five years old came with his parents to San Francisco as a miner, then as a building contractor.
     After receiving his education in the public schools of this city, the younger Mr. Holmes started out as a surveyor and became identified with a number of leading engineers.  He was only nineteen years old when he made all the contour surveys necessary for the development of Lake Chabot, Oakland’s principal source of water supply.  At twenty-one Mr. Holmes passed an examination for appointment as United States deputy surveyor.  Soon afterward he became assistant engineer of the State Board of Harbor Commissioners, leaving this position to design and build the Alameda mole and depot for the South Pacific Coast Railway Company.
     It might be well to say at this point that the millions who visited the Panama-Pacific Exposition gazed upon Mr. Holmes’ work when they viewed the yacht harbor, its passenger and freight slips and all the other exposition water terminals.  As consulting engineer on docks and wharves for the exposition he designed all these features.
     Mr. Holmes directed his attention to street railway construction when, in 1887-8, he built the Powell Street Railroad, known as the Ferries and Cliff House Railroad.  During the next few years he built  the cable railroads at Portland, that at Spokane and the Madison Street  Railroad at Seattle.  Returning to San Francisco he constructed the Sacramento street branch of the Powell street road, the lower end of the California Street Cable Railroad and extended the Union Street Cable Railroad from Fillmore to the Presidio.  Later he secured the contract for the electric street railway at Stockton.
 Becoming chief engineer of the Harbor Board in 1892, Mr. Holmes built the water terminals for all the railroads running into San Francisco with the exception of the Southern Pacific, and even in the latter’s slips were installed the freight and passenger hoists invented by him.  One of his innovations was teredo-proof pile for wharves, concrete over a core of wooden piles.  This type of pile has been used a number of years with great success.
     As chief engineer of the San Francisco, Oakland & San Jose Railroad Company, the Key Route, Mr. Holmes designed and constructed the terminal mole, which extends 16,000 feet into San Francisco bay.   He also built the Sacramento electric road and the greater part of the Oakland, Alameda & Piedmont Railroad, now incorporated with the Oakland Transit Company.
     Resigning in 1901 from his position with the Harbor Board, Mr. Holmes became chief engineer for the San Francisco Dry Dock Company.  He built Hunter’s Point Dry Dock No.2, at that time, the largest graving dock on the Pacific Coast.  Later he prepared plans for dry dock No. 3 at Hunter’s Point, one of the world’s biggest and one that will care for the greatest ocean liners and battle-ships.
      Today, in the East as well as the West, Mr. Holmes is considered an authority in his line.  In 1904 he was commissioned by the Boston Harbor and Land Board to report on the respective merits of graving and floating docks.  He also planned the Canadian Government’s dry dock at Victoria.  He ha a goodly private practice, besides being consulting engineer for the Western Pacific Railway Company for docks and wharves.
     Mr. Holmes is a member to the American Society of Civil Engineers and of various other prominent professional, fraternal and social organizations.

John W. Preston (page 312)

     “A man cannot hope to obtain lasting results without concentration.  If he is to be a lawyer, a good one, he must apply himself to law an its ramifications constantly, ever studying to advance.  The same is true of every profession in which knowledge counts – and this means all of them”
     Such is the philosophy of John W. Preston, United States Attorney for the Northern District of California.  BY constant application he won the goal and made a name for himself; by the same means he became United States District Attorney.
     Born at Woodbury, Cannon County, Tennessee, May 14, 1877, Mr. Preston is the son of Hugh Lawson Preston, president of the First National Bank of Woodbury, former State Senator and holder of other public offices for the past forty years.  Mr. Preston was educated at a country school, then at Woodbury Academy, and in 1894 and all of 1895 he taught school in De Kalb County, Tennessee, earning enough to attend Bethany College at Bethany, West Virginia, for a year.
     Meanwhile, as a youth, Mr. Preston had been delving into law.  So closely did he apply himself that he was enabled, from 1894 on, to practice without a license in the justice courts.  So hard did he labor over borrowed law books that he contracted fever.  He was admitted to the bar in Tennessee April 3, 1897, and after practicing alone for eight months formed a partnership with Major James A. Jones, a celebrated lawyer.
     In 1899 Mr. Preston came to California to try a will case in Mendocino County, won it, and pending its appeal returned home and established a branch law office at Murfreesboro, Tennessee.  In 1901 he back to California and compromised the case.  He was married at Nashville January 8, 1902, to Sarah Rucker, by whom he has since become the father of two children.  The honeymoon trip brought the young attorney to Ukiah again, this time for good, and he remained there until his appointment as United State was Attorney January 3, 1914, for a tem of four years.
     The work of Mr. Preston in the federal office has been unique.  The European war brought about a situation, which made him prominent as a preserver of United States neutrality.  He set precedents, as legal adviser to the Collector of the Port, in the case of three steamships suspected of being about to carry supplies to belligerent warships in the Pacific Ocean.  Taking the initiative, against the advice of other federal officials, Mr. Preston held that the delivery of contraband, even at sea, was against international law and virtually made this port a base of supplies for the warring nations. He started prosecutions and was sustained by Washington; and inquiries before, the local Federal Grand Jury, were followed by similar ones instituted by the United States Attorney of New York.
     Mr. Preston’s legal career at Ukiah, before he became the Government’s attorney, was fruitful.  Always independent in politics, he secured the district attorneyship through no “pull” of any kind; in fact he met strong opposition.  But it was shown by sworn affidavits from disinterested court officials that he had tried more than 900 cases in court in California with less than 50 verdicts against him – and by this record of legal successes alone he won the appointment.
     Mr. Preston organized and for ten years was president of the Ukiah Guarantee Abstract and Title Company, and is a member of the law firm of Preston & Preston with his brother, Hugh L. Preston, Jr., as partner.  He is one of the organizers and directors of the Fort Bragg Commercial Bank at Fort Bragg and of the Willits Commercial Bank at Willits, and is president of the Preston Loan and Investment Company of Ukiah, a private concern handling his realty and financial holdings and those of his brother, Hugh.
     Although he has always maintained his right to vote as he please, and not as someone else pleases, and has thus upheld his political independence, Mr. Preston is an active worker for the Democratic cause.  He was chairman of the Democratic County Central Committee and a member of the State Committee in Tennessee, and for several years was chairman of the Mendocino County Committee.  He was elected to the State Legislature in 1908 from the Sixth district and was renominated in 1910, but declined to run.

George E. Price (page 313)

     The general impression seems to be that a career in the United States Army unfits one, at least temporarily, for any profession other than the military.  But George Elder Price is a striking example of what an Army training really will accomplish, providing a man take advantage of it.  When Mr. Price emerged from sixteen years in the Army he already had gained admittance to the bar in Kentucky and almost at once started practicing law in San Francisco after being admitted in California.
     Mr. Price is of that sturdy type that makes up the real American citizenship.  He was born December 17, 1877, in Davis County, Kentucky, on the arm of his father, George Elder Price.  His mother, Lydia (Miles) Price, was of the line of the Linthicum family of Kentucky and Virginia.  His Paternal great - great – great – great – great Grandfather was John Price the Emigrant, who came from Wales in 1620 and settled in the Jamestown Colony.  He was one of thee eleven counselors, with Sir Francis Wyatt, of the provisional government of the colony under the London Company.  His wife was slain in the Jamestown Massacre of May 1622.  One of his descendants was General Sterling Price of Missouri, great –uncle of the present George E. Price.
     During his early years George E. Price attended the district school near his home.  When he was yet a boy his mother died and from then on he was raised in the family of an uncle, a lawyer in Kentucky.  At the age of fourteen he left school and there after was with another relative in Illinois.
     In 1896, attracted by the Army, he enlisted and was assigned to the Seventh Cavalry, with which he served in the Spanish-American and other campaigns.  Re-enlisting in 1899, he became a clerk, and later chief clerk, at the recruiting station at Denver.  He attended night school, was studious and ambitious and in 1901 gained an appointment as second lieutenant of the Tenth Cavalry.  He was made first lieutenant of the Fourteenth Cavalry in 1909.
     Most of Mr. Price’s relatives were lawyers and he never took his eyes off the ultimate goal, the law.  When he became Second Lieutenant he attended the military university at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, taking the law course there as well as engineering, the languages and others.  Seated in hi tent beneath the trees of Cuba or the Philippines he studied law, and by diligent application was enabled to qualify, in 1906, for the admittance to the bar in Kentucky.
     In 1909 he was assigned to engineering work in connection with the Hetch Hetchy water project under the Interior Department.  One night his horse fell with him over a forty-foot cliff in the Yosemite and he suffered a broken leg and other injuries that kept him in the hospital for eight or nine months.  Later rejoining his regiment in the Philippines he contracted tropical diseases, which brought about his retirement from the Army of disability in 1912.
     Thereupon Mr. Price returned to California to regain his strength.  He was admitted to practice before the Supreme Court and entered the law office of George D. Shadburne in the Humboldt Bank building.  Later he opened offices for himself in his present location, the Underwood building.
     Mr. Price’s practice has been largely in the criminal courts.  Among his important cases was that of Emil Gunlach, charged with the murder, on the night of November 4, 1914, of Louis A. Andrus, proprietor of the Casa Loma Apartments on Fillmore Street.  Gunlach was acquitted.  Mr. Price also made a strong effort on behalf of Verne W. Fowler, convicted of the slaying of Willie Fasset during an attempted burglary December 18, 1914.  Fowler’s case was appealed.  The civil law work of Mr. Price is largely on behalf of the Wholesalers’ Board of Trade.
     During his connection with the Military Information Division at Manila Mr. Price helped advance legislation for the Anti-Espionage law, prohibiting the talking of photographs within a military reservation.  He also was one of the agitators for the present law making it a crime for a man to secure free transportation on the representation that he is about to enlist in the Army or Navy.
     Fraternally, Mr. Price belongs to the United Spanish War Veterans, Modern Woodmen of America, Moose, Red Men, Eagles and Elks.  He is a fellow of the Royal Geographical Society of London and belongs to the National Geographical Society of the United States, and the Union League and Southern Clubs.  He was married in 1903 at Hudson, N. Y. to Miss Wie D. Townsend.  The couple has three children, Dorothy Townsend, Cordelia Newland and George Sterling Price.

Lile T. Jacks (page 283)

     The idea that “Opportunity knows but once at each man’s door,” and the attendant idea that unless full advantage is taken of the chance Opportunity will not call again. – this is by no means of universal application.  For if Opportunity fails to seek him out, the redblooded man will seek out Opportunity.  He doesn’t wait for the knocking on the door.
      Lile T. Jacks, San Francisco attorney at law, didn’t sit around waiting when it came time for him to get out and hustle for an education and for a career.  He hustled.  And this involved, at one period, working in a hotel for his board and, at another period, digging ditches and keeping pace with men many years his senior.  But he gained his goal.
      Mr. Jacks was born March 26, 1877, on a farm at Meadow Valley near Quincy, Plumas County, California.  His father is Richard Jacks, farmer and miner, and his mother Florence Fremont (Bell) Jacks.  He attended the public schools of the neighborhood, and after finishing the grammar grades worked for some time as a common laborer for a mining company.  Nest year he entered the Quincy High School, working in the evenings at the Plumas House, where he boarded.  He was graduated in 1900.
      Soon after this Mr. Jacks entered the mining field by locating what was known as the Smith’s Flat placer claim.  He purchased the necessary equipment, rented water and worked the claim for three seasons, making enough money to come to San Francisco in January 1901. He took a course in the Gallagher-Marsh Business College, and after finishing entered the evening law school of the Young Men’s Christian Association, where he received his A.B. degree.  The course covered a period, in all, of four years.  He also took a post-graduate course at St. Ignatius University.
      Meanwhile, immediately after taking up the study of law Mr. Jacks worked for a month as stenographer in a mercantile firm, holding down this position in the day time and attending school in the evenings.  In 1902 Mr. Jacks was placed in charge of the schools’ supply department under the direction of the Board of Education, a position he retained until about the time he completed his law course.
     In 1906 he became a deputy under County Clerk Harry I. Mulcrevy.  This position he resigned in 1908, took his bar examinations and was admitted to practice November 18, 1908, before the District Court of Appeals of California.  Since then he has been admitted by United States District and Circuit Courts.  For about a year after he first was admitted he was a clerk in the law offices of McNair & Stoker.  Then he started practicing independently and has done so ever since, with the exception of about a year when he maintained his office in connection with that of Frank S. Britain, now attorney for the Panama-Pacific Exposition.
     Confining himself almost exclusively to the practice of civil law, Mr. Jacks has specialized in probate matters and his handle a number of important estates in court.  Among these was the $250,000 estate of Mrs. Ruth Hannah Muzzy, which has been settled and distributed to the heirs.
     Mr. Jacks represented Mrs. Lovell White, chairman of the Outdoor Art League Club, an auxiliary of the California Women’s Club, in the fight before the 1914 State Legislature on behalf of the cemetery condemnation bill.  This was a measure to amend the code of civil procedure relative to eminent domain, so that the City of San Francisco might take over old cemetery lands and make memorial parks of them.  Mr. Jacks framed the bill, which was the only bill of a similar nature that was passed by the Senate.  The whole bill is to be taken up again before the next legislature.
     In addition to his probate and other work Mr. Jack is attorney for several corporations and business concerns, the Home Manufacturing Company; the Imperial Company, manufacturers of waterproofing; Fish Brothers, real estate dealers, and several others.
 Socially, Mr. Jacks is a member of the Native Sons of the Golden West, the Deutscher Club, Woodmen of the World, and other private clubs.  He was married in San Anselmo, September 21, 1913, to Miss Ethel Kluver, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Kluver of San Francisco, and granddaughter of the late Henry Dobbel, wealthy California pioneer and member of the Vigilance Committee of San Francisco’s early days.

Henry T. Jones (page 284)

    When business philosophers have set forth, as the fruit of long experience, what things are necessary to bring about a man’s rise in the world, the whole weighty argument may be boiled down and resolved into three words – ability, effort and perseverance.
    Given those attributes, a man may gain all others with but little extra trouble.  But it is essential that he have the three.  The man who will not or cannot assimilate learning, the man who yawns and watches the office clock, the who flits from one position to the other in the hope of “landing something good” without working up to it – such men to failure are foredoomed.
    Henry T. Jones is today general superintendent of the United Railroads of San Francisco because he has, and has had all along, ability, perseverance and pluck.  In order to learn all about the business he had chosen for a career he began at the very bottom.  He worked, he was dependable, and it was not long until his worth was recognized.
Mr. Jones is a native of Bristol, England.  He was born January 22, 1866, the son of Daniel Jones a Colonel in the British Army, and Emma (Proctor) Jones.  He attended Rugby schools and in 1881 entered the Royal Navy and was assigned to H. M. S. Britannica.  Two years later his father died and he left the navy.
    Almost at once Mr. Jones entered the employment of Sir Clifton Robinson, who at that time was constructing the Higate Hill cable railroad in London, after having been manager of the Bristol Tramways.  This was the first road of its kind in Europe and was designed after the cable railroads of San Francisco, which were the first in the world. In 1884 Mr. Jones, in his capacity of  conductor, operated the first car over the Higate Hill line, with the Lord Mayor of London and other dignitaries as guests..
    After a few months as a “platform man” Mr. Jones was given a clerkship in the company’s offices, remaining in this position until 1887.  Thereafter, for a time, he traveled abroad.  Retuning to London from Mexico, he learned that Sir Clifton Robinson had come to the United States, to Los Angeles, California, where he was installing a line for the Los Angeles Cable Railroad.  Desiring to stay on with his first employer, Mr. Jones retuned to America and Sir Clifton made him assistant superintendent of the road.
     In 1890 Mr. Jones did something that few men do.  He went back to get more experience in the actual handling of streetcars.  In need of fresh air, and in the belief that with a firmer groundwork in the street railway business he would be better enabled to maintain an executive position when he came to it, he came to San Francisco and became a conductor on the old Market Street Cable Railway.  Since that time he has remained in San Francisco and has risen steadily through the ranks to the position he now holds.
     Successively he became inspector, car dispatcher and timetable expert, and in 1902 when the United Railroads was organized was appointed superintendent of employment.  Two years later he was made division superintendent and this position he held for nine years. He was appointed acting general superintendent in July 1913, to succeed the late Elwood Hibbs.  Meanwhile, in addition to the regular duties of this office, he also continued as the company’s timetable expert as well as chief of the employment bureau.  On January 1, 1915, he was formally made general superintendent.
    Mr. Jones personally has employed all the men of the rank and file that the United Railroads has added to its payroll since the company’s formation in 1902.  He is a born executive and withal one of the most popular men in the service of the United Railroads.  Today he is the head of actual operation of a road that has 278 miles single track, electric and cable.  Including 1900 platform men, he has under his direction about 2500 employees of all classes. He has been a long and faithful service.  And the days that he has worked 20 hours out of the 24, notably following the fire of 1906 and during the subsequent strike, have borne their fruit.
Mr. Jones is a member of the Transportation Club and the Indoor Yacht Club.  He was married in 1902 in San Francisco to Miss Blanche A. Le Juene, daughter of A. Le Juene, the noted Belgian sculptor.  He has two sons, George F. Jones, 10 and Burgess William Jones, 6.

Dr. T.  E.  Shumate (page 324)

     In three separate and distinct fields of endeavor – in the profession of medicine, in the drug business and in public life – has the name of Dr. Thomas E. Shumate come to be familiar to the people of San Francisco.  For the more than a quarter of a century that has passed since he first came, as a youth, to the Western metropolis, has yielded well.
      Twenty-seven years ago Dr. Shumate was a clerk in a San Francisco drug store, attending the College of Pharmacy at night.  Today he is a physician with a large and flourishing practice, owner of the best retail drug business west of the Rocky Mountains, and in his second term as member of the Board of Police Commissioners.
      Dr. Shumate was born April 1, 1871, at St. Louis, Missouri.  His father was Charles H. Shumate, stock raiser and dealer, and his mother Cornelia Hicks (McKaney) Shumate.  The youth secured the groundwork of his education in the St. Louis public schools, and in 1888, immediately following his graduation from the West Side High School, St. Louis, came west to San Francisco.
      Having learned in his high school days that chemistry was his forte, Dr. Shumate resolved to take up pharmacy and, perhaps, last on, medicine.  He did not come to San Francisco in a private car; nor did he put up at the best hotel when he got here.  Rather, the first thing he did was to look for a job. He found one, in a drug store.
      From 7 o’clock in the morning until 6 o’clock he waited on the trade and otherwise kept himself busy.  After dinner he took his books and spent the evening at eh College of Pharmacy, and at night he slept in the store, not only for convenience sake, bur also that he might be on hand bright and early in the morning to attend to business.  This lasted for two years and in 1890 he was graduated from the College of Pharmacy, which is an adjunct of the University of California, with the degree of Ph. G.
      Dr. Shumate’s next step was to open a drug store – a very small drug store, by the way, but much larger now – at Sutter and Devisadero streets. It remains today No. 1 of his chain of similar stores.  Once his drug business was going to his satisfaction he enrolled in Cooper Medical College.  During the day he attended at the college, then until 11 o’clock at night he worked in his store.  From the latter hour on until he finally sought his bed, he carried on his studies.
      It was a hard grind, but it brought its reward, for the drug store made possible his attendance at college, and his studies by lamp light gained for him graduation, in 1894, with the degree of M. D.
      The same year Dr. Shumate opened offices and began practicing his latest profession.  A few months later there occurred a vacancy in the position of surgeon to the San Francisco Police Department, and Dr. Shumate secured the appointment.  From 1894 until 1900 he served as the department surgeon.  During this period he unconsciously prepared himself for the office he now holds.  He kept his eyes open to the manner in which the affairs of the department were conducted, and also came into close touch with whom his is personally.  The result was that when James Woods resigned from the Police Commission in 1912, and Mayor Rolph was called upon to appoint his successor, he chose Dr. Shumate for the place.  Dr. Shumate, said the mayor, was in sympathy with the administration and was a man in every way qualified to serve.
      After serving out Commissioner Woods’ unexpired term Dr. Shumate was reappointed and is now in his second germ as a member of the Board.  Dr. Shumate has accomplished much good for the Police Department.  He helped bring about recognition of seniority of service and he has aided in making San Francisco a better place to live, but without, at the same time, forgetting to be broadminded and tolerant.
      Seven high-class drug stores are now being conducted in Dan Francisco under the name of Shumate’s Pharmacy, Inc.  All are enjoying a high class of trade.  In addition to his other activities Dr. Shumate is, and has been for several years, a director of St. Francis hospital.
      Dr. Shumate was married in 1899 in San Francisco to Freda Ortmann and is the father of three children:  Ortmann, aged thirteen, Albert, ten, and Virginia, four.  He belongs to the Southern, Olympic and Press clubs of San Francisco and also the Independent Order Odd Fellows.

Edward J. Talbott (page 327)

     Contrary to poplar belief of an attorney at law cannot be gauged by the number of sensational legal betties in which he appears.  Were this so, some of California’s foremost lawyers would be accorded far less recognition than they really deserve, for their work, though extremely important, is not of a nature to bring them much into the limelight.
     One of those attorneys whose practice is largely quiet, but who nonetheless has an enviable reputation for ability in his chosen profession, is Edward J. Talbott.  He has no practice to speak of in the criminals courts, but confines himself to a general civil practice, largely in probate and corporation matters, which are of more vital interest to those directly concerned than to the public at large.
     Unlike some others, Mr. Talbott did not decide fully upon the law as a career until he was half way through the university and until after he had investigated fully the field and his own fitness for entrance to it.  He was born August 9, 1878, at Lompoc, Santa Barbara County, California, the son of William L. Talbott, a farmer and stock raiser, and Amelia (Irwin) Talbott.  He is of Irish stock, with several noted jurists among his maternal ancestors.
     After traversing the grammar schools at Lompoc Mr. Talbott entered high school, from which he was graduated in the spring of 1896.  In August of thee same year he matriculated at the University of California, finishing in May 1900, with the degree of B. S.  By this time he had resolved to become a legal practitioner.  Accordingly he attended Hastings College of the Law for two years and in May 1902, was admitted to practice before the Supreme Court of California.
     Mr. Talbott at once began practicing in San Francisco in association with William J. Herrin.  The partnership continued until Herrin’s death in October, 1913, since which time Mr. Talbott has practiced alone.
     For the past ten years Mr. Talbott has been one of the attorneys in the litigation over the estate of Thomas Bell, one of the longest drawn out and hardest fought cases in California’s legal history.  It has been before the probate court for twenty-three years and it probably will be several years more before the various claims to the property are adjudicated.
      Thomas Bell was at one time the wealthiest man on the Pacific Coast.  His property aggregated some $20,000,000 in value, but he lost it in one way and another, principally by unwise investments, until at the time of his death in 1892 he was worth only about $200,000, with outstanding debts totaling twice as much.  Following Bell’s death, however, oil was discovered on his land.  BY taking advantage of this the administrators have built up the estate once more until today it represents something like $5,000,000.
     Mr. Talbott has been interested as an attorney in several other good-sized estates, which he has settled in one way or another to the satisfaction of his clients. He also is general counsel for a number of corporations, among them the San Francisco Sulphur Company, which does practically all of the importing and exporting of sulphur that is carried on in San Francisco.  In this, as well as in other concerns, Mr. Talbott is likewise interested in a financial way.
     In politics Mr. Talbott is a stanch Republican.  He has neither sought nor held office, but has preferred to do his work for others or for the party’s general good.  He does not find time to belong to social clubs, although he is a member of the B. P. O. Elks ass well as of the American Geographical Society.
     Mr. Talbott was married in 1906 in San Francisco to Lillie V. Rose.  He is the father of one child, a daughter, now seven years old.

W.  J.  Rand, Jr. (page 314)

     One who does not believe that “it’s the little things in life that count,” need only analyze the career of F. W. Woolworth, of W. J. Rand, Jr., Pacific Coast manager of the F. W. Woolworth Co., to be convinced that the old saying is eminently true.
     It was by looking after the little things that Mr. Woolworth made of his concern the largest of its kind in the world.  It was by looking after things, tending strictly to business and guarding his employer’s interests that Mr. Rand advanced himself from a $1.00 a day job as stock boy to the Pacific Coast managership, with fifty stores and nine states and something like 1,500 employees under his direction.
     Mr. Rand is a native of Brooklyn, New York.  He was born August 2, 1877, the son of W. J. Rand, a musician who has since retired from active business, and Lillias L. (Warner) Rand. He attended the public schools of Brooklyn and thereafter spent five years at Trinity School of New York, finishing at the latter institution when he was about eighteen years old.
     From school Mr. Rand went directly into offices of a New York advertising concern as office boy.  Later he solicited classified advertisements for the New York Journal, and in 1897, when he was twenty years old, he began his so fruitful connection with the F. W. Woolworth stores.
     At the outset Mr. Rand was stock boy in the F. W. Woolworth Five and Ten Cent Store at Yonders, N. Y.  The work was hard, the job was confining and the emolument was $1.00 a day -- $6.00 a week.  Mr. Woolworth, however, had the reputation of being willing to help his employees if they were willing to help themselves.  He still has that reputation, by the way.   He has given hundreds of young men the opportunity to advance themselves in the business world, and the fruits of this policy have been most gratifying.
     With the future, rather than the present, in mind, Mr. Rand proceeded to stick to business.  The eyes of the store manager were upon him, even though his work kept him in the basement, and within two months his salary was raised to $10.00 a week and he was made floorwalker.  He continued thus until 1900, when he was transferred to Norfolk, Virginia, as assistant manager of the stores there.  In 1901 he was sent to Hartford, Connecticut, in the same capacity and in 1902 became manager of the stores of Massachusetts, a suburb of Boston.  About this time he married Miss Clara Wake of Providence, Rhode Island.
     From this time on Mr. Rand’s rise was rapid.  He had already proved his worth and it remained only for him to acquire a broader experience.  In 1904 he was made manager of the Decanter, Illinois, store; in 1907 he was given charge of the store at Omaha, Nebraska, and before the end of the same year was recalled to the Chicago offices as traveling superintendent.  The assistant managership of the Chicago offices was given him in 1910, and 1912, he was made a director of the F. W. Woolworth Co. stores west of Denver.
     The F. W. Woolworth Co. operates more than 800 stores, among which 47 are in Great Britain and 75 in Canada.  Mr. Woolworth started his first store in Utica, New York; with $300 capital His 1915 business was expected to reach the startling figure of $70,000,000.  There are probably less than ten concerns in the United States whose volume of business is annually so great.  The growth of the corporation in the past few years may be realized from the fact that when Mr. Rand started in as basement stock boy, there were but 47 Woolworth stores in operation.
     Mr. Rand, by the way, came near being a California native son, his parents having moved to this State when he was six months, but later returned to the east.
     Socially, Mr. Rand is a member of the Claremont Country Club and the Olympic Club.  He is director of the Chamber of Commerce of San Francisco and also belongs to the San Francisco Commercial Club and the Rotarian Club and the Masonic order.

Robert A. Roos (page 316)

     Few San Franciscans have been so consistently active in advancing the interests of their city, in advertising it to the world as a bustling business community and a good place to live, as has Robert A. Roos.  Civic projects fathered or participated in by him have helped San Francisco to a degree that is beyond measure.
     Born June 7, 1883, in San Francisco, Mr. Roos is the son of Adolph Roos and Ernestine (Mahler) Roos.  He was graduated from the University of California in 1904, after having taken a leading part in student affairs.  He at once entered the San Francisco store of Roos Brothers, a business established in 1851 at Virginia City by his father and his uncle, the latter Achille Roos, and removed in 1860 to San Francisco.  The younger Mr. Roos has worked himself up until now he is a member of the firm, in charge of the merchandise office of the largest concern of its kind west of Chicago, with three stores – San Francisco, Oakland, and Berkeley.
     Immediately after the San Francisco fire of 1906 Mr. Roos was in charge of one of the relief food stations.  Soon afterward he was one of the founders of the Fillmore Street Improvement Association, serving as an officer until 1908.  He and another member made possible by their work the illuminated arches on Fillmore Street, a monument to civic progressivism.
     In 1907, during the streetcar and accompanying strikes, he was a member of the San Francisco Conciliation Committee, which helped settle the controversies.
     In 1908, when Market street once more became the business artery, Mr. Roos helped form the Downtown Association and became one of its directories.  He also helped form the Civic League of Improvement Clubs by the amalgamation of about 100 improvement associations; he was its president in 1912 and 1913, declining a third term.  He was in charge of the League’s nonpartisan campaign, which did away with political parties in San Francisco’s government system.  Again, he aided in the formation of the League’s inspection bureau, which checked up the repairing of the city’s streets and the spending of the bond money, thereby saving a considerable sum.  And he cooperated with the City Attorney and Police Department in framing laws and rules for the police traffic squad.
     Mr. Roos was a member of the committee that consolidated the old Chamber of Commerce, the Downtown Association and the Merchants’ Association and for a year and he was a director of the new Commerce Chamber.
     What really started the campaign for the Panama-Pacific Exposition was the first organized New Year’s Eve celebration in San Francisco in 1908-9, which Mr. Roos helped bring about, and the subsequent 1909 Portola festival, of whose executive committee he was a member, as well as of the Portola of 1913.  Prior to the fiesta he went to Washington and persuaded President Taft to flash his famous “Toast to San Francisco” around the world, besides visiting all the foreign embassies and inviting the nations to participate officially in the Portola, which many of them died.  In 1910 he was a member of the San Francisco delegation to the national capital and aided in the campaign that finally gave the exposition to this.  He now is a member of the exposition’s ways and means committee; and was one of those in charge of the ceremonies on Oct 14, 1911, when former President William Howard Taft broke ground for the exposition, receiving the executive at his home.
     In dozens of other ways Mr. Roos has displayed his public zeal.  When the fleet of the United States Navy came around the world to San Francisco in 1908 he helped arrange the entertainment for the enlisted men.  He is one of the founders of the San Francisco Public Schools’ Athletic League, sanctioned by the Board of Education, was it’s vice-president and is still one of its directors.  He has done much to bring Chinese merchants of the city into closer touch with the municipal government.  In 1909, as trustee of the San Francisco Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, he was appointed as its delegate to the International Animal Protection Congress at London.  He was named by President Taft in 1912 a member of the United States Assay Commission and served one year, and during Taft’s 1912 campaign was secretary of the California State Republican Committed.  In many other public movements o importance Mr. Roos has proved himself an indefatigable worker.  He belongs to a number of social clubs both in San Francisco and New York
     Mr. Roos was married April 26, 1915, in Chicago, to Miss Louise Swabacker.

Return to 'Journalism in California' Index
Return to San Francisco Genealogy