COLE, BURKE

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [Marin County Obits Board]

Posted by Cathy Gowdy on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 at 08:22:44 :

Independent Journal
Saturday, Dec. 13, 1958
Page 14

FAIRFAX MAN FOUND DEAD FROM SHOT

A Seattle teamster forced into retirement three years ago after an automobile accident left him paralyzed from the waist down was found dead last night at his Fairfax home, the victim of an apparently self-inflicted gunshot would in the right temple.

The body of Edward Warren Cole, 49, former employee of Skagit River Express of Seattle, was discovered by his nephew, Eddie Cole, 13-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Courtney W. Cole of 151 Tamalpais avenue, Fairfax.

The boy told Coroner Frank J. Keaton he had seen his uncle, who made his home with the Cole family for the past year, alive when he departed for a dance at Manor School earlier in the evening.

When he returned at 10:30 p.m., he saw his uncle lying on his bed. A single shot had been fired from a .45 caliber revolver, which was found next to the bed, the coroner reported.

A note was left addressed to his brother, Courtney. It read: “Red, I’ve thought and thought and have concluded that I’d be only a burden maybe for years so – please see that Bruce (his 24-year-old son Bruce C. Cole of San Diego) gets whatever there is in my effects he wants. E. W. Cole.”

The coroner and Fairfax Police Officer William Christensen today continued their investigation. “At present, we believe it was an apparent suicide,” Deaton said. The pistol was turned over to the Fairfax Police Department for fingerprint check.

Besides his son and brother, Courtney, who is an employee of the McPhail Co., Edward Cole is survived by a sister and brother, Mrs. Roberta Burke and Gordon R. Cole, addresses unknown.

Funeral arrangements are pending at Keaton’s Mortuary, San Rafael.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
copyright © 2006 Pamela Storm and Ron Filion. All rights reserved.