CHEDA, WHEELER, ROMAN, ZEHNDER

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [Marin County Obits Board]

Posted by Cathy Gowdy on Thursday, March 30, 2006 at 05:09:03 :

The Marin Journal
Thursday, July 20, 1933

Impressive Funeral Services Are Held For V. J. B. Cheda in S. R.

Funeral services were held in San Rafael on Monday for Captain V. J. B. Cheda, prominent resident of San Rafael, who passed away in a bay city hospital on July 15. Scores of friends from all over Marin County gathered at the Presbyterian Church where the last rites were held. Dr. Lynn T. White officiated. Pall bearers were Fred Hawken, Joseph Rice, Harry De Gregory, Judge Edward I. Butler, Major Newell Vanderbilt and A. Bacigalupi.

The passing of Cheda, Marin pioneer, on Saturday morning came as a great shock to the community in which he had lived since a small boy. He was a native of Switzerland, aged 58 years.

Captain Cheda was taken to the Mt. Zion Hospital in San Francisco a week previous to his death for observation and treatment, and although it was known that he was in serious condition, his death was unexpected.

Cheda was the proprietor of the feed, fuel and building material business in San Rafael which bears his name. He was for many years an officer of the “Marin County National Bank”, known to many as the “Cheda Bank”, and on the death of his brother, S. H. Cheda, became president of the bank. It is now the San Rafael branch of the American Trust Company.

Captain Cheda was Captain of Company D, National Guard, which was organized after the Spanish-American War.

Surviving him are his widow, Mrs. Eleanore A. Cheda, his son Virgillio J. B. Cheda Jr., his daughter, Mrs. Rae A. Wheeler, his brother, George Cheda and two sisters, Mrs. Iride Roman and Mrs. Fannie Zehnder.

- - - - -

The Marin Journal
July 26, 1933

Roosevelt Sends Chedas Condolences
Expresses Sorrow at Recent Bereavement

Mrs. V. J. B. Cheda, widow of the late Captain V. J. B. Cheda, today received the following letter from President Franklin D. Roosevelt:
White House,
July 18
My Dear Mrs Cheda:
I am sincerely sorry to hear of the death of your husband. I sympathize with you in your great loss.
Yours,
Franklin D. Roosevelt

Captain Cheda, besides being active in Marin county civic affairs, was a staunch Democrat and an active campaigner for Roosevelt in the last presidential campaign.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
copyright © 2006 Pamela Storm and Ron Filion. All rights reserved.