[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [Marin County Obits Board]

Posted by Cathy Gowdy on Saturday, February 04, 2006 at 07:31:14 :

Independent Journal
Monday, November 24, 1958
Pge 1

Doctor Suicide 5 Days After Saving Airman

Last Tuesday, Dr. Mark D. Muir of Marinwood, a psychiatrist and Army captain, cheated Death of a victim when he dissuaded a distraught airman from leaping from the Golden Gate Bridge.

Saturday, Death squared the account.

The body of Captain Muir was found in a San Francisco motel room. A note in the room made it plain that the doctor had taken his own life, apparently with an overdose of barbiturates.

On Tuesday, Muir was one of a group of Army psychiatrists and a chaplain who talked for four hours to persuade Air Force Sgt. William Cody, 33, to abandon his intent to jump from the bridge.

Among other things, Muir told Cody, “You don’t have to do anything in this world unless you want to.”

Muir and Death brushed arms again early Thursday, when a station wagon driven by Muir collided with a car at the entrance to Marinwood on Highway 101. Muir and his wife, Delores, were injured. Both were taken to letterman Army Hospital in San Francisco, where Muir was a staff doctor.

Mrs. Muir is still in the hospital, under treatment for deep cuts of the face and head.

Muir was in the convalescent ward at Letterman. He simply walked away Friday, according to the hospital spokesman. He registered at the motel Friday afternoon. His body was found by the motel owner Saturday noon.

The note found near his body was addressed to his superior officer, Col. Theodore Kiersch, head of Letterman’s neuropsychiatric department, and read:

“Please let me tell you that I sincerely appreciate all you have done.”

“My entire life has been one trouble after another. During the past year I have been unable to sleep because of constant worry. Mostly my inability to get out of debt. It has been one thing after another until life is not worth it.”

“My job seems pointless, my family is strapped by a has-been who does nothing but cause them further trouble. My drinking was don in order that I might sleep. Than you again. Mark”

Colonel Kiersch said Muir may have been drinking increasingly recently, but not enough to affect his work.

Captain Muir, 31 years old, was a native of Rock Springs, Wyo., and obtained his medical degree from Creighton University, Omaha, Neb. in 1955. He interned at a Salt Lake City hospital, and joined the staff at Letterman in 1957.

He resided at 172 Cobblestone drive, Marinwood. Besides his widow, he leaves five children, Sandra, 7, Karen, 6, Katherine, 5, Joe, 3, and Dennise, 2.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup


copyright © 2006 Pamela Storm and Ron Filion. All rights reserved.
powered by SpudBoard