An important genealogical resource concerning later marriages in California is one made available by the California State Department of Health titled "'California Marriage Index, Bride and Groom, 1960-1985". This index comes on microfiche in two sets, as the title suggests, one for the bride and one for the groom. They are divided into ten-year segments beginning with 1960, such as 1960-1969, 1970-1979, 1980-1985. An earlier series, 1949-1959, in book form at the State Library are not included with the current series.
The index contains the following fields of information:
The researcher can conveniently search for either names. On the Bride Index, the brides are listed in alphabetical order in the second column. On the Groom Index, the grooms are listed in alphabetical order in the first column. If you are familiar with the California Death Index, the format of the Marriage Index is similar. The county of marriage is listed as a two digit code (see list below). The County Register and State File numbers can be used to order the marriage certificate from the County or State respectively.
- Name of Groom
- Name of Bride
- GR (Age of Groom)
- BR (Age of Bride)
- CO (County Married)
- MO (Month of Marriage)
- DA (Day of Marriage)
- YR (Year of Marriage)
- Registrar CO and Number (County Register Number)
- State File #
The microfiche is numbered from 0001 on for each bride and groom set, and the range of the names contained on each microfiche is listed at the top of each one. Examples of the first six microfiche in the 1980-1985 Groom Index looks as follows:Here are the two-digit County Codes used in the California Marriage Index:
0001 "A-Allen" 0002 "Allen-Aquin" 0003 "Aquin-Baerw" 0004 "Baerw-Bartl" 0005 "Bartl-Benso" 0006 "Benso-Bloom" etc.
01 Alameda 02 Alpine 03 Amador 04 Butte 05 Calaveras 06 Colusa 07 Contra Costa 08 Del Norte 09 El Dorado 10 Fresno 11 Glenn 12 Humboldt 13 Imperial 14 Inyo 15 Kern 16 King 17 Lake 18 Lassen 19 Los Angeles 20 Madera 21 Marin 22 Mariposa 23 Mendocino 24 Merced 25 Modoc 26 Mono 27 Monterey 28 Napa 29 Nevada 30 Orange 31 Placer 32 Plumas 33 Riverside 34 Sacramento 35 San Benito 36 San Bernardino 37 San Diego 38 San Francisco 39 San Joaquin 40 San Luis Obispo 41 San Mateo 42 Santa Barbara 43 Santa Clara 44 Santa Cruz 45 Shasta 46 Sierra 47 Siskiyou 48 Solano 49 Sonoma 50 Stanislaus 51 Sutter 52 Tehama 53 Trinity 54 Tulare 55 Tuolumne 56 Ventura 57 Yolo 58 Yuba 60 Alameda City 80 San Diego City 90 San Francisco City
For information on ordering Vital Records including Marriage Certificates, visit Center for Health Statistics
Some California libraries that have the above item:
Note: Some libraries may not have the complete set from 1960 to 1985.
- Oakland, CA., Family History Center
- Oakland, CA., Oakland Main Library, microfiche, Periodical and Newspaper Rm
- Pleasanton, CA., Alameda County Pleasanton Branch Library
- Sacramento, CA., California State Library
- San Lorenzo, CA., Alameda County San Lorenzo Branch Library
- San Francisco, CA., Sutro Library
- Santa Clara, CA., Santa Clara Library, microfiche drawer, Gen Rm
- San Jose, CA., Martin Luther King Library, in the California Room
- San Jose, CA., East Side LDS Library in Evergreen on San Felipe Rd.
- Santa Clara, CA., Family History Center, 875 Quince Avenue (408-241-1449)
- Houston, TX., The Clayton Branch for Genealogical Research of the Houston Public Library