History of Santa Clara County
The Clubs of San Jose's Men and Women--Daughters of the Revolution--The Carnegie Library and the Free County Library--The American Legion--The County Pioneers--Sainte Claire Club, etc.
San Jose can show as large a number of Women's
Clubs as any city of its size in the Union, for the women of the city are
intelligent, cultivated and refined, and if they do not arrogate so much
to themselves as do their sisters in Boston or Philadelphia they are
found as eagerly pressing on in the paths of art, literature and music.
The San Jose Woman's Club is the largest of these organizations, its object being to promote acquaintance, good-fellowship and cooperation among the women of the city and vicinity, and to furnish a civic center where questions of importance to the community may be freely discussed and acted upon in the hope of promoting the interests and welfare of all concerned. The club was born in 1894, and the work is done in departments. The charter list of membership was, at the start, left open for one month. At the expiration of that time the enrollment showed forty names. The number steadily increased until the membership reached 200. During the great European war, the number dwindled to one hundred and fifty, but after hostilities had ceased there was a steady gain in membership. The club has never lost sight of the ideals upon which it was founded and is recognized as a power for good in the community. Its motto is: "All for one and one for all."
In 1897 the club joined the General Federation of Clubs and in 1900 became affiliated with the State Federation. During the first three years of its existence the directors served in turn as president, and in 1898, Mrs. Stephen A. Jones was elected as its first regular president. She served two years, and was followed by Mrs. E. O. Smith, the founder of the club, in whose fertile brain was conceived the plan for a club house and the division of the work into departments of civics, music, art, literature, travel and social and household economics. This arrangement has continued to the present time. At the beginning of Mrs. Smith's second term of office her health failed, and the vice-president, Mrs. W. C. Kennedy, was obliged to carry on the work For the two years following, Mrs. Kennedy was the president, and it was during her incumbency, that the money ($4000) was raised by entertainments for the building of the present club house on South Third Street, now Santa Clara. It was also during this period that an auxiliary to the club was formed. This consisted of the daughters of the members, who were permitted to use the club house for their meetings. About fifty young ladies responded and their club, which later was named To Kolan, came into being. In appreciation of her labors, Mrs. Kennedy, upon retiring from office, was elected an honorary member.
Mrs. Alex. P. Mungotten served as president, 1904-06; Mrs. W. B. Hill, 1906-08; Mrs. Viola Price Franklin, 1908-09; Mrs. A. A. Fowler, 1909-11. It was during Mrs. Fowler's administraton that the club took up the matter of incorporating as a body, the original incorporation of a part of the club as a "Club House Association," not having proved satisfactory. The by-laws were amended and the whole club was reincorporated under the name of "The San Jose Woman's Club."
From 1911 to 1912, Mrs. J. V. Haley served as president. The following came in turn: Mrs. C. E. Randall, 1912-13; Mrs. O. P. Shrout, 1913-14; Mrs. J. E. Hancock, 1914-15; Mrs. Fred Schumacher, 1915-16; Mrs. Paul Clark, 1916-17; Mrs. N. J. Grey, 1917-18; Mrs. S. Wills and Mrs. A. D. Grant, 1918-19; Mrs. F. H. Easty, 1919-20; Mrs. Eva E. Stahl, 1920-21.
The clubs in the County Alliance are as follows: Manzanita Club, founded in 1884. Mrs. Milo P. Phelps. president; The Monday Club, founded in 1904, Mrs. Fred Fehren, president: Out-Door Art League, founded in 1904, Mrs. J. W. Davy, president; The Art History, founded in 1883, Mrs. Nicholas Bowden, president; To Kolan Club, organized in 1902, president, Mrs. Willard Hayden; Willows Reading and Study Club, organized in 1897, Mrs. J. R. Henwood, president; Short Story Club, a branch of the Pacific Short Story Club, organized in 1911, Mrs. W. C. Kennedy, president; Santa Clara Woman's Club, founded in 1904, Mrs. A. E. Osborne, president; The Shakespeare Club, of Santa Clara, Miss Laura Mills, president; Mountain View Woman's Club, Miss Emma Stevens. president; County Woman's Club, Campbell, Mrs. J. Fred Smith, president; Morgan Hill Woman's Club, Mrs. Giles Bradley, president; Sunnyvale Woman's Club, Mrs. Sophie Durst, president; Palo Alto Woman's Club, Mrs. Emily S. Dixon, president; Gilroy Woman's lub, Mrs. Catherine T. Ryan, president.
Besides the County Alliance there is a County Federation of Clubs, composed of the following: Manzanita Club, San Jose Woman's Club, Santa Clara Woman's Club, Palo Alto Woman's Club, Mountain View Woman's Club, To Kolan, Perdita Circle, Los Gatos; History Club.
Other clubs not affiliated with the San Jose Woman's Club or the County Federation are The Fortnightly, founded in 1899, Mrs. J. D. T. Tuthill, president; Sempervirens Club, A. P. Hill, president, and Mrs. W. C. Kennedy and Chas. Wesley Reed, honorary presidents; the Chautauqua Circle, Miss Lulu Blanchard, president; The Art History Club, Mrs. Nicholas Bowden, president; The Eastern Star, Mrs. A. E. Dickenson, worthy matron; the different circles, guilds, societies and alliances of the churches; the Parent-Teachers' Association of the public schools; the Y. M. C. A., Y. W. C. A., the Y. M. I. and Y. L. I.; the different courts, the different Parlors of the Native Sons and Daughters, the Women's Relief Corps and the Congress of Mothers, and many others.
Newman Hall and Club
In 1904 Archbishop Riordan furnished the money for building Newman Hall for the Catholic girls attending the State Normal School. The location is on South Fifth Street near the corner of San Fernando Street and close to the Normal grounds. It is a handsome, imposing structure, an adaptation of the Roman-Corinthian style of rchitecture, and is admirably arranged for the purposes for which it was constructed. It was Archbishop Riordan's idea to provide a place where the Catholic Normal girls might meet to be further instructed in the Catholic doctrine and at the same time have a rest and club room. A chaplain was furnished and when not engaged in religious services the girls of the club--for a club was formed--give entertainments, hear lectures and have the benefit of the well-stocked club library. There are eighty members of the club and the finances are looked after by the Catholic members of the Normal alumni. Mrs. R. Johnson is president of the student body. The upkeep of the institution is in the hands of the Catholic women of the city of San Jose.
Sainte Claire Club
There is no finer nor more picturesque building in San Jose than the one occupied by the Sainte Claire Club. It is situated on St. John Street at the corner of Second, and was built by Senator James D. Phelan in 1894. The club was organized November 15, 1888, and for five years occupied rooms in the Rucker block. Dr. Pierce was the first president and C. M. Wooster, secretary. In 1906 the new building was shattered by the earthquake, causing the club to seek quarters elsewhere. In 1907, repairs having been made, the club moved back to the old stand. The membership at present is 100. Luncheon is served every day. There are nine living and bath rooms on the third floor, card room and library on the second floor and social hall, dining room and kitchen on the first floor. The officers for 1920 were J. M. Parker, president; K. H. Plate, vice-president; Chas. A. Barker, secretary. Other directors, A. E. Holmes, H. A. Pfister, James W. Findlay, F. A. Wilder. Following are some of the names of the deceased members: Hon. B. D. Murphy, W. P. Dougherty, Judge James R. Lewis, Col. A. K. Whitton, Ralph Lowe, Peter Etchebarne, Isaac Loeb, Gabriel Loeb, J. Naglee Burke, D. W. Burchard, James M. Rucker, Dr. G. W. Seifert, Harry Edwards, Peter C. Colombet, O. A. Hale, Judge Bond, J. R. Patton, L. A. Sage, Capt. N. D'Oyly, James H. Lyndon, W. J. Wilcox, Chas. Chapman, Hon. C. T. Ryland and J. F. Green.
Two of the above named, Hon. C. T. Ryland and Hon. B. D. Murphy, were able lawvers and orators. In the late '70s the Democrats controlled the State Legislature, holding 83 out of a total of 120 votes. A United States senator was to be elected that year and the candidates were C. T. Ryland, James T. Farley, Mark McDonald and Niles Searles. Ryland was easily the ablest of the candidates. He as a San Josean of lofty intelligence and scrupulous honesty. A native of Missouri, he came to California when a boy of nineteen. He drove a mule team across the plains and arrived in California with only a few dollars in his pocket, but his laudable ambition and strong character soon led him into one good position after another. He was clerk of the Board of First Instance in San Francisco and afterwards was private secretary to Peter H. Burnett, first governor of California. He married the governor's daughter, was admitted to the bar and in time rose to be one of the leading business and political factors of the state. His career as a lawyer opened in San Jose, and after years of success he gave up the law to enter the banking business. It was thought by his many friends in San Jose that he would have a walkover in the race for the United States senatorship, but these friends failed to take into account the fact that he was not a wire puller and that he had pitted against him some of the seasoned politicians of the state. But he made a game fight and it took twenty-five ballots to decide the issue, Farley winning without a vote to spare.
Hon. B. D. Murphy, of San Jose, was then a member of the State Senate. He was not a candidate for United States senator, but one of his staunch friends, Hon. Tom Fowler, who represented several counties in the San Joaquin Valley, resolved to give Barney a complimentary vote. Tom, a big, bluff Westerner, dealt in horses and talked "horse" from morning until night. His nominating speech was impromptu and Hon. John A. Hicks, the San Jose realty dealer, who was then a member of the Legislature and heard the speech, says it was about the richest thing that ever came out of the mouth of a California solon. Fowler first likened Barney to a horse and, as Hicks remembers it, he spoke somewhat after this fashion:
"It gives me great pleasure on this momentous occasion to place in nomination a thoroughbred who never had the blind staggers. He sees straight and goes straight for what he sees. He is gentle when handled right and if she have the courage a lady can drive him. He is neither wind-galled, spavined nor has the heaves unless he is heaving some Republican maverick out of his way. True, he will kick up his heels when he feels good, but you may bet your bottom dollar that he will never kick over the traces. He is all wool and a yard wide thoroughbred and he can trace his lineage back to old Brian Boru who assisted St. Patrick in driving the snakes out of Milpitas. And, gentlemen, he is not a crib sucker, although if he lands in the senatorial crib he will make suckers out of all who oppose the principles of our noble party. Look at him and note that he measures up to the standard set by those matchless steeds that have been world beaters since the days of Alexander Yoell. Moreover, and don't let the fact escape your memory, he has horse sense, and that is saying a good deal in these days of windy rhetoric. And he'll stand without tying and doesn't need any sugar to make him good, because he's good all through and all the time. He doesn't need a cinch, though it's a cinch that he'll make good, even if he has to take the bit between his teeth. Take him, don't pet him, for he'll do his work without petting, feed him three times a day, and between meals if you feel like it, for he is a good feeder and will come a-running to the manger, and you'll get more than your money's worth. Gentlemen, I am proud to place in nomination the Honorable Barney Murphy, of San Jose."
At the conclusion of the speech the great chamber resounded to the laughter and applause of the assembled legislators.
Columbia Circle, C. L. S. C.
Chautauqua is represented in San Jose by Columbia Circle, which was organized in 1888. Mrs. Harriet M. Newell was the first president. Other presidents were Mrs. Addie Garrigus, 1894-1900; Mrs. Louisa George, 1900-06: Mrs. Mattie Herrington, 1906-07; Mrs. Mary Haywards, 1907-08; Mrs. Maria Morse, 1908-09; Mrs. Ida Wadams, 1909-10; Mrs. Sarah Baker, 1910-11; Mrs. Mabel Withrow, 1911-12; Mrs. Lulu Blanchard, 1912-20. Mrs. Blanchard was reelected for another year in 1920.
It has been the pleasant custom of the circle to hold recognition exercises at the close of each year and graduate the class finishing the course according to the plan followed at Chautauqua headquarters. This marks the conclusion of four years' reading laid down by the program of Chautauqua, and each year Columbia Circle enjoys a day that leaves the final hours of its study a pleasant memory to each member. On Monday, June 14, 1920, the class of that year, the eighth to pass through the "Golden Gate" of Mrs. Blanchard's leadership, was graduated. This class was one of the largest, number eight--Mrs. Flora Bates, Mrs. Anna Candee, Mrs. Blanche Graham, Mrs. Edith Jensen, Mrs. Kate McChesney, Mrs. Edna McIntyre, Mrs. Eltha Parner, Mrs. Calla Sherman. After a program of songs, recitations and reading of "The Year Book," Mrs. Blanchard, made her usual address, telling how much Chautauqua should mean to readers and students and how much it had done for her. She announced that five new readers had been enrolled for the next year, the European year, and narrated some of the history and aims of the organization.
San Jose's first duly organized debating society was the San Jose Lyceum. It was in existence during the early part of the 70s and was succeeded by the Lecticonian Society. There are many San Joseans today who are proud of the fact that they were once Lecticonians, for the organization which kept its head above water for twenty-odd years, did noble work as an educator. It turned out orators, statesmen and divines, and gave to business and professional men the ability and confidence to speak fluently and entertainingly in public. Some of the old members were J. C. Black, C. C. Stephens, J. M. Young, T. E. and J. G. Kennedy, J. R. King, J. L. Crittenden, M. H. Hyland, L. F. Curtis, C. M. Shortridge, Chris Bergstrom, H. D. Burnett, A. C. Blane, Geo. D. Smith, Alex. Underwood, C. W. Quilty, J. J. McLauren, Tom C. Barry, Dr. J. L. York, E. T. Sawyer, W. Finley, H. C. and C. E. Gunn, John McNaught, John E. Richards, R. J. Stevens, Holton Webb, E. J. McCutcheon, E. K. Dunlap and J. E. Rymal. Of these Barry, Quilty, Shortridge, the Gunns, Dr. York are dead. Of the living, J. E. Richards is judge of the Appellate Court; Black is the dean of the San Jose bar; Stephens is a leading lawyer of Los Angeles; Bane is one of the big oratorical guns of the First M. E. Church; Underwood is a wealthy business man of Monterey; Smtth is a San Jose lawyer of fine attainments; Webb was justice of the peace at Riverside in Riverside County, and died over a year after being shot by an Italian who had been defeated in a law suit. Hyland, once Superior Judge is now a San Francisco capitalist. The majority of the Lecticonians had had little or no experience as speakers or debaters when they joined the society, but constant attendance and study made of them speakers and debaters such as any county would be proud to own. The society disbanded in the early '90s.
The Country Club
The Country Club, first known as the Golf Club, was organized twenty years ago by a number of business men who realized that out-of-door sports should go hand in hand with indoor amusement. A tract of land comprising eighty acres was secured near the Linda Vista links on the Alum Rock road and the Linda Vista Sanitarium was used as a club house. The charter had the following as charter members: T. Ellard Beans, Geo. M. Bowman, D. M. Burnett, W. S. Clayton, E. C. Flagg, Thomas A. Graham, A. D. Grant, O. A. Hale, G. W. Henderson, Ralph W. Hersey, A. C. Kuhn, S. F. Leib, J. C. Lewis, L. L. Morse, L. G. Nesmith, Joseph R. Patton, Hotel Vendome, Guy Vachell, A. K. Whitton, Philo Hersey and William Wehner.
In 1913 the club moved their quarters by purchasing 61 1/2 acres on exceptionally good ground near the eastern foothills. Afterwards 31 1/2 acres were leased from Mrs. Gordon. This tract adjoined the Country Club's land, and the combined acreage and splendid situation made the golf links one of the finest on the Coast, permitting a full eighteen-hole course. On one of the hills, the most commanding one, a club house, up-to-date in every particular was built at a cost of about $15,000. The cost would have been much greater if the lumber had not been purchased from J. A. Chase, a lumber dealer and a club member. Mr. Chase also designed the building. The pipes were laid in two days by fifty club members in overalls and jumpers. After their work had been finished they were treated to a fine lunch prepared by the lady members and served on tables under spreading oak trees. The present officers of the club are V. J. LaMotte, president; J. R. Chace, secretary; First National Bank, treasurer; William Hirst, manager of the club house. The members number 350.
The Pioneers' Society
The California Pioneers' Society of Santa Clara County was organized June 22, 1875, with 274 charter members. The first officers were Judge A. L. Rhodes, president; John M. Murphy and Peter O. Minor, vice-presidents; Alex. P. Murgotten, secretary; John H. Moore, treasurer; directors, Coleman Younger, Cary Peebels, Davis Divine, A. Pfister and B. D. Murphy. Of the charter members the secretary is the only surviving member. The first annual meeting was held in O'Donnell's Gardens on June 22, 1876. At its first quarterly meeting, held in September, 1876, in Music Hall, Hon. David Belden delivered an address, replete with droll humor and beautiful sentiment. Hon. C. T. Ryland was the speaker at the next quarterly, December 20, 1876, and English words were woven into a splendid, tribute to the pioneers.
Two memorable social events mark the history of the old-timers. The first was given on September 8, 1877, to celebrate the admission of California into the Union. The California Pioneers of San Francisco, Native Sons and Mexican Veterans were invited guests. The parade was one of the largest ever seen in San Jose. It consisted of the Native Sons, San Francisco Pioneers, and Santa Clara County Pioneers. There were floats representing pioneer times, such as, "On an Emigrant Train," and "The Steamer California," manned by men who came on that vessel. A local ox carried a pack of an old emigrant's outfit. There was also a mining scene, "Working the Claim," which was very realistic. To make the parade seem real one of the valuable oxen hauling the emigrants dropped dead while on the march. At O'Donnell's Gardens, one of the largest barbecues in the history of the state was carried out successfully. In a trench 200 feet long, three feet deep and three feet wide there were spitted twenty-seven hogs, twenty-five sheep and sixteen beeves. Over 10,000 people were introduced to one of the finest meals they had ever tasted. An English guest said he had eaten the roast beef of old England for forty years, but he felt that he had never partaken real roast beef until that Saturday. Uncle Ike Branham was the chief cook and his assistants were A. Legarde, S. O. Broughton, Henry Lux, D. A. Laddy, A. L. Bascom, J. H. M. Townsend, Geo. Cross and R. T. O'Hanlon. The next great event was the State Inauguration Day, celebrated on December 20, 1899, and here the success of an earlier day was repeated. It was the grandest celebration San Jose had ever had. Mayor C. J. Martin was president; Alex. P. Murgotten, secretary; Mrs. E. O. Smith, program director, and Gus Lion, financial director; S. W. Boring, grand marshal. The old capitol was reproduced and there were three days of joy-making.
Many of the early pioneers have gone over the range, but a few are left in the society. In order to keep up the interest the membership now includes all those who have resided fifty or more years in California. At the last annual meeting held at Alum Rock Park on June 5, 1921, officers for the ensuing term were elected as follows: President, William E. Gage; first vice-president, H. C. Morrell; second vice-president, F. B. Kennedy; third vice-president, J. J. Sontheimer; secretary, A. P. Murgotten; treasurer, Mrs. A. P. Hill; auditors, Mrs. M. H. Hermann, J. G. Glendenning, C. C. Smith, W. D. Dampman, W. H. Lawrence. Following is the list of active members: W. C. Andrews, Chas. L. Adams, Mrs. J. Appleton, H. W. Arbogast, J. Q. A. Ballou, Mrs. E. D. B. Bradley, Mrs. Lulu Blanchard, J. C. Black, L. A. Booksin, M. A. Boulware, Miss L. A. Brimblecom, J. B. Burrell, Mrs. E. C. Best, W. K. Beans, Otis Blabon, Dr. J. M. Bowen, W. S. Clayton, Chas. Cable, Mrs. J. R. Cornell, Geo. O. Comstock, J. B. Collins, Harry W. Coe, Mrs. M. T. Daunes, H. A. De Lacy, W. D. Dampman, Mrs. W. D. Dampman, Chas. Doerr, Mrs. C. Dickson, Peter J. Dunne, Mrs. L. A. Erkson, Mrs. Mary A. Estes, Mrs. L. A. Fowler, Chas. Frost, Mrs. Chas. Frost, Perley F. Gosbey, J. D. Guerraz, Chas. T. Givens, J. W. Gould, H. Guerraz, Miss M. E. Gordon, J. E. Gordon, J. G. Glendenning, Phil Herold, S. N. Herring, Mrs. S. H. Herring, Mrs. M. H. Herrmann, J. H. Hamon, Mrs. J. H. Hamon, Andrew P. Hill, Mrs. A. P. Hill, Mrs. Eliza Isom, Mrs. A. C. Joseph, Mrs. N. A. Jennings, Mrs. Mary H. January, A. W. Kennedy, F. B. Kennedy, Frank Kenyon, J. A. Lovell, Mrs. Mattie R. Lewis, A. B. Langford, Alex. P. Murgotten, Mrs. A. P. Murgotten, H. C. Morrell, Mrs. H. C. Morrell, Antone Matty, Mrs. Riley Montry, Thos. Monahan, E. C. Munn, Mrs. E. C. Munn, E. L. Moody, N. E. Manning, Archie McDonald, Mrs. A. McDonald, Mrs. A. W. McDaniels, H. S. McClay, Mrs. E. McCracken, Mrs. R. T. O'Hanlon, Jacob Overton, John F. Pyle, H. T. Pyle, Mrs. Mary J. Pyle, F. G. Ple, Mrs. M. Palmer, Mrs. E. H. Potter, N. A. Pellerano, Henry A. Pfister, Leonora Rider, John E. Richards, L. D. Stephens, Albert Schroeder, Fred M. Stern, Chas. D. Sykes, S. P. Sitton, Mrs. J. E. Saulsbury, C. C. Smith, Mrs. J. C. Selby, Mrs. M. E. Searles, Mrs. S. M. Smith, Mrs. K. Travis, Mrs. J. M. Tarleton, Mrs. C. M. Tennant, Otto F. Van Dorsten, Mrs. Frances Verser, Mrs. L. J. Watkins, E. H. Wemple, Mrs. J. C. Wool, Mrs. G. F. Williams, H. J. Wallace, Mrs. Chas. Doerr, Jasper S. Scott, Mrs. Frank Fuller, W. J. Cartner, Gustave Nelson, Mildred M. Overfelt, Irving P. Henning, Edward Godfrey, Matilda Godfrey, Mary E. Hatch, Nils Anderson, Emily M. Hanson, Mrs. J. P. Hildreth, Mrs. Mary Stone, Mrs. Otto Van Dorsten, Mrs. Sue J. Seybolt, Eugene Knickerbocker, Mrs. Flora J. Saxe, Chas. W. Kenyon, Mrs. E. J. Kell, H. G. Dodds, Mrs. M. E. Pyle, Mrs. Mary Overfelt, O. F. Gohranson, W. F. Chipman, J. G. Reid, John Widney, W. E. Gage, Ed. Haley, Mrs. Emma Laird, Mrs. Luvena Selfridge, Mrs. Louise Collins, Geo. Bray, O. F. Gohranson, Jr., Mrs. B. F. Lirtzinger, Mrs. M. J. Ashmore, Mrs. J. D. Guerraz, Mary Z. Oakes, E. T. Sawyer. Charles D. Sykes, former president, died on July 7, 1920, at Boulder Creek.
The objects of the society are to cultivate social intercourse: to form a more perfect union among its members; to create a fund for charitable purposes; to assist in burying the dead and assisting the afflicted; to create a bond of regard and friendship among the members of the society; to establish a library, collect minerals, relics, heirlooms, curiosities and articles of intrinsic and historical value of pioneer days; to collect and preserve information concerning its members, and other pioneers; statistics and data of the pioneer history of the county and state; to receive donations and bequests, to hold and use the same so as best to transmit to future generations a faithful and correct history of the past, so as to maintain, as far as possible, a continuity of historic narrative for the future.
Harry Jubilee Bee, whose career has been sketched in an earlier chapter, died in San Luis Obispo in 1898. He was the oldest pioneer in California and he furnished much interesting material to A. P. Murgotten while that gentleman was publishing and editing The Pioneer. Bee took a prominent part in the first hanging of Americans in California. In July, 1849, Bee and a number of San Joseans were at work in the mines of Dry Creek, near the upper fork of the American River. The adjoining camp was occupied by a company of miners composed of Peter Haggerty, of San Jose, a man named Griffin, and five deserters from Stevenson's regiment. Three of the deserters were named Campbell, Freers and Davis.
Haggerty's party had good luck at the diggings and one day, about the middle of July, a large bag of gold dust was exhibited to Bee as a result of their labors. Haggerty was the treasurer and on that same day Griffin came to him and stated that the five deserters had concocted a scheme to steal the dust, and advised him to change the place of burial. This advice was followed, but it afterwards appeared that the five men were watching him while he was making the change. The next day the deserters came to Haggerty and demanded a settlement and a division of the dust. Haggerty went out to obtain the bag and was alarmed and surprised to find that it had been stolen. When he came back and announced the loss the five men began to laugh. As evidence to convict was lacking the deserters were allowed to leave camp. They were followed next day by Bee and Haggerty, who arrived in San Jose early in August.
The five deserters were there and in a short time they had gambled away the stolen money. In October they started back to the mines. On the road from the Livermore ranch, in Alameda County, to the San Joaquin Valley they fell in with a sailor, who was also on his way to the mines, and he was induced to become one of their party. When the San Joaquin was reached the party of six came upon two men--an American and a German. It was customary in those days, when one man met another on the road to exchange courtesies as follows: "Where have you been?" The answer would perhaps be: "I've been to the mines." Then the question would be: "How have you made it?" The interrogated party would open his shirt and disclose his pile, if he had any. It was so in the case of the German. He was asked the usual question and the bag of dust was disclosed. The American had no money.
That night the two parties camped near each other. In the evening Campbell proposed to rob the German and his companions, except the sailor, assented at once. After some argument the sailor was induced to go along. At midnight, Campbell, Freers and Davis relieved the German of his earnings, the sailor acting as guard, after which the victim was shot in the arm "for fun." The robbers then started back in the direction of San Jose. At a Mexican ranch near where the town of Pleasanton now stands, they stole six horses. The owner followed them to San Jose, and after learning that they had camped in the mustard, on the banks of the Guadalupe about two miles from the pueblo, he came, to town and notified Harry Bee of his loss and discovery. The American had come in a short time before, having left the wounded German at Livermore's. Dr. Ben Cory was sent out to attend to him. Bee was informed of the robbery and from the description concluded that the Dry Diggings miners were the culprits. A search for them was at once instituted and Campbell, Freers and Davis were traced to the house of Woods, the alguazil, on Santa Clara Street. Bee suspected Woods of complicity in the hiding of the deserters and upon his statement Woods was removed from his official position by the alcalde, and Bee, who had before held the office, was appointed in his place.
Bee at once went at work. That night he raised a posse of men,among them Peter Quincy, Uncle Ike Branham, Charles White and Samuel Young. A short time afterwards Campbell and Freers were decoyed into Bee's shoe store in the old Lightston building, and arrested. A little later Davis was caught outside the building. Three days afterwards the three men were brought before the alcalde for trial, and mainly through the testimony of the sailor, who gave state's evidence and thus escaped punishment, the deserters were convicted and sentenced to be hanged. The same day--for the law moved swiftly in these times--the men were taken to Market Square and summarily executed. John Yontz acted as master of ceremonies, Bee having been released from that duty for the reason that he had just baptized the men and thus became their godfather. After life was extinct the bodies were taken to Santa Clara and buried in the Catholic Cemetery.
Lorenzo D. Stephens, a member of the Pioneers and the last surviving member of the famous Jayhawkers' party of gold seekers, whose terrible suffering in Death Valley in 1849 forms a thrilling chapter in the history of the California gold rush, died in an Oakland hospital in February, 1922, at the age of 93. His residence was to San Jose and for over seventy years he was a picturesque figure in the life of Santa Clara County. His wife died in January, 1922. He is survived by a daughter, Mrs. Emma Falconer, of Berkeley, and a son, Dr. L. L. Stephens. of Seattle, Wash.
The records of the Jayhawkers shows that they were the first people with the exception of Indians to set foot in Death Valley; the first to discover silver in Nevada and the first to discover those nitre and borax deposits which have proved of such great value to the commercial world. Unwilling discoveries they were, during fifty-two days of existence with almost no food, and five days during which they were without a drop of water.
The party originally numbered thirty-five men and included one woman, the wife of a preacher, and several children. They set out with ox teams from Galesburg, Ill., on April 5, 1849, and passed safely through Salt Lake City late in July. The season was late when they arrived at the Mormon capital and reports were received telling of the awful experiences of the Donner party on the northern route to the gold fields--experiences which forced some members of that party into cannibalism to prolong life. Other wagons joined with the Jayhawkers in forming a train of 107 wagons at Salt Lake City with the idea of reaching California from Salt Lake by a southern route.
All went well until 250 miles south of Salt Lake, when, disregarding the advice of their guide, they started due westward in an effort to cut off several hundred miles. The distance by the map looked short and easy.
The train proceeded without incident until they came to a sheer precipice of a thousand feet or more in the Wasatch Mountains. Since progress seemed impossible the majority of the train resolved to follow the advice of their guide and turn southward again to the Santa Fe trail. The Jayhawkers, however, explored for a descent and found it. Not realizing what they were doing they then embarked on a journey across the Great American desert. Four months were required in traversing about 800 miles of this desolate region, fifty-two days of which thev were without food, except as they killed their starving cattle. The little water found was mostly alkaline and unfit to drink. One member of the party, crazed by suffering, wandered away and was lost. Three other members of the party lay down on the trail and died.
The one woman of the part was forced to listen to her suffering little ones plead for a drink. Sometimes as many as five days would pass before they could plunge their swollen tongues in the alkaline springs. The wagons were cut to carts and the carts in turn gave way to pack saddles in an effort to facilitate progress through the sands.
The imprint of death was on the faces of the members of the party when two men forming an advance party sighted the ranch of Don Juan Salazar in the Santa Clara Valley. The plight of the party was made known and vaqueros went to their assistance. This rescue occurred on February 4, 1850, a date always observed in the reunions of the members of the Jayhawkers, which were held annually until three years ago, then ceased, as Lorenzo Dow Stephens was the sole survivor.
The American Legion is a fraternal club. It was organized on October 4, 1919. The platform, as set forth in the constitution, is as follows:
"For God and country, we associate ourselves together for the following purposes:
"To uphold and defend the constitution of the United States of America; to maintain law and order; to foster and perpetuate a one-hundred per cent Americanism; to preserve the memories and incidents of our association in the Great War; to inculcate a sense of individual obligation to the community, state and nation; to combat the autocracy of both the classes and the masses; to make right the master of might; to promote peace and good will on earth; to safeguard and transmit to posterity the principles of justice, freedom and democracy; to consecrate and sanctify our comradeship by our devotion to mutual helpfulness."
"The American Legion is to be commended in its efforts to enlist the membership of every honorably discharged soldier, sailor and marine who served his country in the late war. This organization has before it a great work if it is to accomplish its ideals in creating a true spirit of patriotism among the American citizens, which shall be as energetic and powerful in times of peace as was that spirit in the dark days of war. The Grand Army of the Republic has done a great work and has stood as a magnificent example before the American youth since the days of the Civil War, ever instilling in our people, by precept and example, love of country and enforcement of law and order. We cannot measure the benefits of this great organization nor ever pay the debt of gratitude which we owe it. But the ranks of the Grand Army of the Republic have become so diminished during the past few years that but a handful of the grand old veterans still remain. It is for this new organization, made up of the veterans of the World War, to assume the toga of its similarly patriotic predecessor, and carry forward its cherished ideals. There is no organization like the Legion, made up as it is of a million and one-half men and women who answered the call of home and country, which has forsworn any policy of a partisan or political nature, and whose whole endeavor is to furnish our country with protection, both from its enemies within as well as those without. It is an organization which caters to neither class nor mass, but stands for the enforcement of the will of the sovereign majority."
The Legion is open to army nurses as well as to former soldiers. The membership is 1045, mainly from Santa Clara County. The officers are: Archer Bowden, president; Frank V. Campbell, secretary. An employment bureau is maintained and the finding of seventy-five places per month has been the average.
Law Library and Bar Association
The San Jose Law Library was started in 1874 in the Knox Block. Its growth has been steady and now there are over 6000 books on the shelves. The librarian is Louisa J. Spencer, who has held the position for many years. The directors are O. D. Richardson (chairman), Judge S. F. Leib, N. Bowden, Judge John E. Richards and Judge H. D. Tuttle.
The Bar Association was formed in 1915. The officers are: John W. Sullivan, president; Matthew Mulcahy, secretary, and L. E. Petree, treasurer. The objects of the association are to advance the standard of the members in morals and professional duties, to prosecute members who are derelict in conduct, and to create a fraternal feeling among the members. John W. Sullivan is chairman of the committee on investigation.
To combat the high cost of living by making war on the profiteers, the San Jose Housewives' League was organized in November, 1919. There were over 200 members on July 1, 1920. The officers are: Mrs. Paul Clark, president; Mrs. M. W. Capp, secretary, and Mrs. R. J. Lanford, treasurer. Mrs. J. E. Hancock is button and membership superintendent. The business of the League is to gather and publish recipes for sugarless and other cheap eatables; to investigate cases of profiteering and ascertain why the grocers have to charge so much when the producers receive so little; and to look into all matters connected with the high cost of living. Already much has been accomplished. Facts have been gathered regarding profiteering and when a case has been made the proper officials have been notified.
Daughters of the American Revolution
The Santa Ysabel Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution was organized in San Jose November 10, 1896. The charter members were Mrs. Sutton Palmer, Mrs. William B. Gano, Miss M. Polhemus, Mrs. W. K. Beans, Mrs. M. G. Gates, Miss Edna Leib, Mrs. T. Ellard Beans, Miss Frances Beans, Mrs. Pedro Merlin Lusson, Mrs. Paul Furst, Miss Bessie Moore, Miss Rowena Beans, Miss Lida Leib. The regent, Mrs. Samuel Franklin Leib, was appointed by the then state regent, Mrs. Virginia Knox Maddox. Since then the list has been extended. The chapter meetings are held at the residences of the members. The genealogical standing of all the members is as follows:
Armstrong--Lida Campbell Leib, wife of Charles Dorsey Armstrong; descendant of Gen. William Russell; daughter of judge Samuel Franklin Leib and Lida Campbell Leib, his wife. General Russell assisted in establishing American Independence while acting in the capacity of colonel from 1776 to 1783, afterwards was brigadier-general.
Austin, Gertrude May, wife of Paul Page Austin; descendant of Hezekiah Hutchins, who was a captain in Colonel Reed's regiment of New Hampshire volunteers, at the Battle of Bunker Hill, and who received his commission on the day of the battle. In 1776 he was captain of the fourth company of Lieut.-Colonel Welch's regiment and was present at the battles around Saratoga and at the surrender of Burgoyne.
Ballou, Katherine Jane Kimball, wife of John Quincy Adams Ballou, and descendant of Edward Ainsworth, a physician and farmer, who was a private in Colonel Bellows' regiment, raised in 1776 to reinforce the army in Canada. His name is on the payroll of Colonel Bellows' regiment of militia in New Hampshire, which went to reinforce the garrison at Ticonderoga when besieged by the British in June, 1777. Edward Ainsworth was called "Lieutenant."
Barkau, Ella Plate, wife of Fritz Barkau, descendant of Anthony Rutgers, who assisted in establishing American Independence while acting as chaplain in the second company of artillery in New York City.
Barstow, Mary Rhodes, wife of Alfred Barstow, and descendant of Anthony Rhodes, who was a private of the Fifth Company, commanded by Captain Carlisle, in Colonel Elliott's regiment. He also served as corporal in Captain Randall's company, Colonel Watterman's regiment.
Barstow, Grace (Miss), descendant of Anthonv Rhodes.
Beans, Charlotte Bray, wife of T. Ellard Beans, and descendant of Dr. John Forman Grandin, U. S. N., who served as surgeon in the navy during the latter part of the Revolutionary War.
Beans, Rowena (Miss), descendant of Dr. John Forman Grandin.
Beans, Frances (Miss), descendant of Dr. Grandin.
Beans, Gertrude Moore, wife of William Knox Beans, and descendant of Lieutenant William Moore, who was sergeant in the Third Virginia Regiment in 1776; ensign in August, 1777; second lieutenant in 1777, and first lieutenant in 1780. In consideration of his services in the Continental Army he was given a grant of land--2,666 2/3 acres.
Beans, Mildred Elizabeth (Miss), descendant of Lieut. William Moore.
Beans, Alice Adelaide Waite (Miss), descendant of Capt. Joseph Jewett.
Bradford, Alice Ballou, widow of Wager Bradford; descendant of Edward Ainsworth.
Connell, Nettie L. Bast, wife of Maurice Connell, and descendant of Capt. Jacob Clader, who enlisted March 1, 1776, in the company commanded by Rudolph Bernise, Second Battalion of the Men of '76. He became corporal July 1, 1776; captain, 1781. Also served sixty days' fighting Indians on the frontier.
Eustace, Bessie Moore, wife of Herbert Eustace,
and descendant of Lieut. William
Furst, Evelyn Moore Grissim, widow of Paul Furst, descendant of Gen. William Russell.
Furst, Hannah Moore (Miss), descendant of Gen. William Russell.
Gano, Jeanette Lafayette Grissim, wife of William B. Gano, and descendant of Gen. William Russell.
Gates, Adaline M., widow of Freeman Gates, and descendant of Jonathan Palmer, who assisted in establishing American Independence while serving as first lieutenant in the Fifth Company of Colonel Selden's regiment of Connecticut volunteers.
Greenleaf, Mary Page Hathaway, widow of George Ravenscroft Greenleaf, and descendant of Capt. Philip Hathaway, Jr., who was captain in Col. Josiah Whitney's regiment. Served in Rhode Island in 1777.
Guppy, Lucia Sophia Chase, wife of Edward H. Guppy, and descendant of Capt. Cornelius Russell and Capt. Solomon Chase. Captain Russell was corporal in the Lexington alarm of May, 1775. Enlisted as private in 1775; advanced to first lieutenant and served as such until 1783. Was Washington's secretary and was with Washington at Valley Forge. Was officer of the day when Major Andre was hanged. Capt. Solomon Chase served in the regiment of his brother, General Jonathan Chase, and also as surgeon in another regiment.
Kittredge, Martha Shale Kirk, widow of Ashbel S. Kittredge. and descendant of Thomas Bedford, Jr., who was a captain in the Revolutionary Army. He several times refused promotion as he would not be separated from the boys of his company, who had been placed in his charge by their mothers.
Jordan, Jessie Knight, wife of David Starr Jordan, and descendant of Phineas Knight, who served as private in Capt. John Durkee's company, Col. Israel Putnam's regiment, from May to December, 1775. In Capt. Jonathan Brewster's company in 1776; in Col. Benijahs Leppingwell's regiment, 1777, and in Capt. John Riley's company, February, 1781, to December 31, 1781.
Ledyard, Mary Forman (Miss), descendant of Benjamin Ledyard, who was captain of the First Continental Infantry and distinguished himself at the battles of Monmouth and White Plains. He was also one of the founders of the Society of the Cincinnati. Miss Ledyard was also the great-great-granddaughter of Youngs Ledyard, who was first lieutenant of the Matross Artillery Company at Groton.
Leib, Lida Campbell Grissim, wife of Judge Samuel Franklin Leib, and descendant of General William Russell, Colonel of the Thirteenth Virginia, December, 1776; transferred to Fifth Virginia, September, 1778; taken prisoner at Charleston, May, 1780; exchanged, November, 1780; served until November 3, 1783, when he was made brigadier-general. Mrs. Leib was also the great-great-grand-daughter of William Campbell, who was first lieutenant of the First Virginia State Regiment, and who was made captain January 16, 1779, and served until January, 1782.
Lusson, Elizabeth Stanley Newton, wife of Pierre Merlin Lusson, and descendant of Col. Thomas Newton, who was a member of the Constitutional Virginia Convention; Col. John Baylor, aide to Washington; John Wright Stanley, who melted his family silver and contributed $100,000 to Gen. Greene for arms and ammunition; Richard Cogdell, of North Carolina, member of the Provincial Congress and secretary of the Committee of Safety. Mrs. Lusson died in San Jose August 2, 1903.
May, Eliza Reed, wife of Alpha Child May, and descendant of Hezekiah Hutchins, who was a captain in Colonel Reed's New Hampshire regiment at the battle of Bunker Hill, and was present at the surrender of Burgoyne. He was in the Continental Army in 1778.
May, Cornelia Alice (Miss), daughter of Alpha C. May and Eliza Reed, his wife, and descendant of Stephen May, a soldier in the Continental Army, who served at Bunker Hill, Cowpens and Trenton. Also, a lineal descendant of Hezekiah Hutchins.
Maynard, Adele Merlin Lusson, wife of Blayney Easterly Maynard, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. P. M. Lusson and descendant of Col. John Armestead, Col. Thomas Newton, Col. John Baylor, John Wright, Stanley and Richard Cogdell, all of whom rendered valuable service during the Revolutionary War.
Maynard, Sue Davis, wife of Dr. Stephen C. Maynard and descendant of Jacob Yount, who served under General Greene during the memorable campaign of 1781, until the enemy evacuated Charleston and General Greene's army disbanded; also of George C. Yount, was a lieutenant under General Boone in the War of 1812.
Palmer, Maud Moore, wife of H. Sutton Palmer and descendant of Lieut. William Moore.
Parkinson, Edith Vallette, wife of Charles Roseberry Parkinson and descendant of Samuel Dinsmore, who was a private, January, 1776, in Capt. Nathan Watkins' company, Col. Edward Phinney's regiment. On the march to Ticonderoga he died of small-pox.
Pierce, Elise Furst, wife of Lester Pierce and descendant of Gen. William Russell; daughter of Paul Furst and Evelyn More Grissim, his wife.
Pierce, Marian Percey Thurston, wife of James Henry Pierce and descendant of Richard Thurston, who was captain of Second Company of Infantry of Rowley, now Georgetown, Mass., in 1757. In 1770 he was member of a committee to prevent British importations. His son, David, served at various times as a private during the Revolutionary War.
Plate, Mary Mizner, first wife of Karl H. Plate and descendant of Anthony Rutgers, who was captain of Second Company of Artillery in New York City. Mrs. Plate died in August, 1900.
Plate, Elizabeth Everett Groves, second wife of Karl H. Plate and descendant of Robert Clark, captain of Virginia troops in 1778; also of Capt. John Trigg, another captain of Virginia troops in 1778.
Polhemus, Margaret (Miss), descendant of Major John Polhemus, who, at seventeen years of age served in the provincial forces in the disastrous march against Fort Duquesne. In 1759 he was one of the volunteers who marched into Canada and did good service under General Wolfe. He received a captain's commission in 1775 in the First Battalion of Jersey regulars under Lord Sterling. His company, raised by him, was armed and equipped at his own expense. He fought in the battles of Ticonderoga, Long Island, Princeton, Germantown, Monmouth, Quebec, Brandywine and Valley Forge. At Valley Forge he was appointed major of his regiment, the Jersey Blues. He died in Philadelphia on his ninety-fourth birthday and was buried with military honors. He entered the war affluent and left it with but a pittance. Miss Polhemus is also a descendant of John Hart, one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence.
Reed, Julia Russell, wife of Thomas Harrison Reed and descendant of John Davis, who served as substitute for his father in the Amboy expedition. In 1777 he enlisted in Captain Butler's company and was afterwards transferred to Captain McClelland's company. He was at Trenton and Princeton and crossed the Delaware with Washington. Took part in the battle of Brandywine. Was in the battle of Germantown, of Monmouth, Valley Forge and all the important events of 1778. He participated in the campaign of 1729 [sic] and was with Wavne in the attack on Stony Point. Was wounded in the attack on the block house at Bergin Point. Was one of the guards at the execution of Major Andre and went south with part of the Pennsylvania line in 1781. Was present at Yorktown when Cornwallis surrendered. Was honorably discharged in 1781, holding the rank of ensign.
Smith, Harriet Louise Corwin, wife of Prof. Leigh Richmond Smith, descendant of Capt. Thomas Lucas, who was first lieutenant in the regiment of Colonel Morgan in 1777. Was afterwards made captain.
Singletary, Florence Grigsby, widow of Emory Curtis Singletary, descendant of Massey Thomas, who served as a private in the company of Captain Gillson, Sixth Virginia Regiment, commanded by Col. John Green. He enlisted December 31, 1776, and served three years.
Thompson, Elizabeth Whitney Bland, widow of Col. Henry E. Thompson and descendant of Josiah Ballard. a private in 1777 in the company of Capt. John Trask, Col. David Leonard's regiment. Marched to Ticonderoga. He was also in the company of Capt. Ebenezer Goodale, Col. Samuel Williams' regiment in the same year, and marched to join the northern army.
Waite, Alice C., wife of Melville M. Waite and descendant of Capt. Joseph Jewett, who was captain in Colonel Huntington's Continental Regiment. After the siege of Boston they marched, under General Washington, to New York and remained in that vicinity until the close of the year 1776. He was at the Battle of Long Island. During the engagement Colonel Huntington's regiment was compelled to surrender, after an exhibition of great bravery, having been surrounded by the enemy. After the surrender Captain Jewett received several bayonet wounds from a dastardly foe, from the effects of which he died. He was of elegant and commanding appearance, of unquestioned bravery and much respected and beloved.
Weston, Abbie May Bunker, wife of Benjamin F. Weston and descendant of Jonathan Bunker, who enlisted in the Continental Army for the term of the war. He died in 1796. He served for three years and was in most of the big battles. Bunker Hill was named after his ancestor, George Bunker, who came to America in 1640. Mrs. Weston claims lineal descent from eight ancestors who served the country during the Revolutionary War.
Wright, Susie Davis, wife of Frank Vincent Wright, descendant of Benjamin Butterfield, who was a lieutenant in Col. Seth Warner's regiment of "Green Mountain Boys" in 1777. He served until 1780.
Wright, Edna Warren Leib, wiie of William Hammond Wright, descendant of General William Russell.
Wyatt, Camille Palmer, wife of Ben Harrison Wyatt and descendant of Lieut. William Moore.
The present officers of the chapter are Mrs. Samuel Franklin Leib, regent: Mrs. Blayney Maynard, vice regent; Mrs. Maurice Connell, registrar; Mrs. Charles R. Parkinson, treasurer; Mrs. Elizabeth Everett Plate, corresponding secretary.
Musical Clubs and Record
Up to the '60s music in San Jose had not reached beyond the stage of very amateur performances. But when musical courses were placed on the list of studies at the College of Notre Dame, Santa Clara College and Prof. Freman Gates' San Jose Institute, the musical tone of the community was both strengthened and improved. Soon teachers of ability and eminence began to come in, the first of which were Mr. and Mrs. A. N. Hamm. They arrived in the '60s and soon made their work and influence felt. Mrs. Hamm. with her clear, bird-like soprano, had been an operatic singer in the East and Mr. Hamm, a basso, had appeared often in concerts. They opened a school, secured many pupils and gave many public entertainments. Among the local singers of those days were Ella Bassett (Mrs. Goodsell), Ella Cook (Mrs. Stark), Mary Rhodes (Mrs. Barstow), Beatrice Lawrey (Mrs. Hollenbeck), Mary Youngberg, George Pomeroy, D. B. Moody, Ben Caswell, Charles F. Macy, Elliott Reed, H. A. Keinath and C. C. Cook. Later came R. B. Crichton, W. A. Parkhurst, Grace Greene, Mrs. W. A. McLeod, Della Marvin, Jennie McLeod, Lois Singletary, Will Hervey, Elmer Chase, Henry C. Murgotten, and several others.
J. H. Ellwood arrived in the early seventies and in September, 1875, organized the Handel and Haydn Society with the following charter members: B. F. Caswell, J. H. Ellwood, George Pomeroy, W. A. Parkhurst, A. P. Murgotten, G. E. Lighthall, R. B. Crichton, Elliott Reed, Alfred Barstow, W. D. St. Claire, Charles E. Schroeder, E. Rousseau, J. W. Pembroke, C. T. Bird and Mesdames J. H. Ellwood, A. Barstow, B. L. Hollenbeck, E. P. Reed, Elliott Reed, L. A. Tuck, A. E. Pomeroy, H. S. Foote, A. M. Crichton, W. D. St. Clair, E. Rousseau and Miss Della Marvin, Allie Marvin, Lillie Johnson, Nora Willey, Mary Willey, Fannie Williams, Emma Pembroke, Sallie Webb. The original officers were: Elliott Reed, president; Mrs. B. L. Hollenbeck, vice-president; George Pomeroy, secretary; G. E. Lighthall, treasurer; W. D. St. Clair, librarian; J. H. Ellwood, conductor; Miss Lucy Washburn, pianist. The society was in existence for several years. It was succeeded by the Philharmonic Society, which also was short lived.
In 1883 Prof. J. W. Rainey and Clarence T. Urmy arrived in San Jose to add strength and artistic ability to the local musical coterie. Before them had come Henry L. Schemmel, pianist and vocalist and Miss Frederika Hoffman, a lover and interpreter of Chopin. Prof. Rainey was for many years a teacher of vocal music, while Mr. Urmy, after a long period of faithful and distinguished work is now a member of the faculty of the State Normal School, a power for good in the musical department. He is also one of America's popular poets, his published verse haying been in evidence for twenty-odd years.
In the nineties a new artist appeared upon the scene in the person of Frank Loui King, a born musician, composer and leader. He established the King Conservatory of Music and was for several years dean of the Conservatory of Music at the College of the Pacific. He died several years ago. His family inherited his tastes, his son Frank Giorza King taking charge of the Conservatory of Music, while his daughter, Miss Luena King, won laurels both as a performer and composer. The air was charged with music with Ellwood and King in town. Several musical clubs and quartets were formed and many entertainments were given. The D'Ablaing brothers, Fritz and George, were the next arrivals. One was a violinist, the other a cellist, and their orchestra furnished San Jose some of the best music it had ever listened to.
Other teachers and performers were Prof. G. M. Schuck, Prof. Everett Pomeroy, Prof. Z. M. Parvin and Miss Emily Peelor. The Burrows Musical Kindergarten and the Faelton Fundamental System were first introduced to San Jose by Miss Peelor.
In later years San Jose has listened to the peerless singing of Mrs. Hillman-Smith, Mrs. D. J. Gairaud, Mrs. A. S. Bacon, Miss Lulu Pieper, Mrs. Mary Weaver McCauley, Miss Mary Webster, Georgia Ryder, Mrs. Mildreth Spencer Hartman, and the fine instrumental work of Clarence Urmy, Mrs. H. B. Worcester, G. C. Buchrer, Mrs. James J. Connell, Mrs. William J. Leet, Fred C. Brohaska, Tillie Brohaska, Miss May D'Oyley, Miss Isabel Longdon, Miss Augusta Schroeder, Miss Almee Auzerais and many others. Miss Grace Barstow makes violins artistically and plays them exquisitely. Before her marriage to Prof. Joseph E. Hancock, principal of the Grant School, Mrs. Hancock, then Lessie Rainey, was an accomplished mistress of the violin. Since her marriage she has ceased playing that instrument in public, though she has not given up her musical studies. She is a musical composer of surpassing ability and her efforts in this line have been heard and appreciated in the several operettas produced at the Grant School.
The singing and acting of the late Charles W. Williams vastly entertained San Joseans for many years. Under his management there were produced at the Victory and California theaters those favorite light operas, "Olivette," "The Mikado," "Patience," "Pirates of Penzance," and "The Mascot." He was a singing comedian and would have made a fortune on the professional stage had he not elected to remain in San Jose and devote himself to newspaper work. He was the founder and for many years the publisher of the Evening News.
Of the singers in San lose at the present time, there are Chester Herold, Amos Williams, Roy Thompson, Frank Towner, Dr, C. M. Richards, Dr. M. F. Hopkins, W. E. Johnson, Miss Olga Braslan, Miss Lulu Pieper, Mrs. Hillman-Smith, Mrs. A. S. Bacon, Mrs. D. J. Gairaud, Mary Webster and others. Among the teachers are Mrs. Hillman-Smith, Mrs. Gairaud, Miss Webster, Miss Louisa Simpson, Mrs. Kerwin, F. E. Blickfelt, Iva Brown, G. H. D'Ablaing, Blanche Fox, J. L. McDonnell, Mrs. E. B. McDowell, Bertha Semple, Miss Maud Caldwell, Walter B. Kennedy, Mrs. Daisie L. Brinker, Mrs. Ella Cook Stark, L. V. Brant.
The Y. W. C. A.
A matter of vital interest to Santa Clara County during recent years has been the erection and equipment of a structure for the Young Womea's Christian Association. The idea of having an up-to-date plant, fitted in every way to aid in supplying the physical, social and spiritual needs of the girls and young women in San Jose and vicinity, was conceived in June, 1914, and carried out during 1915 and 1916, until its realization at the dedication of the building on May 14, 1916. Its cost in round numbers was $78,000, and the remaining $30,000, of the total subscription of $108,000, was used for furnishing and equipment for its various departments.
It was the result of months of careful planning and thought on the part of the women whose idealism, concurring with the power of the moment, served to produce it--a lasting monument to the vision and enterprise of the good people of San Jose. Men as well as women took hold with a will, and by their gifts, their vision of the needs of girls and young womanhood, and by their indefatigable energy, made its construction possible. The initial gift of $25,000 was made by Mrs. Maria P. Schofield, who, without girls of her own, reached out to the needs of all girls, and was quickly followed by contributions ranging from fifty cents to $2000.
The expert work of the National Y. W. C. A. secretaries was a revelation to the workers in San Jose, who had not before realized that women could be so efficient and far-seeing. The efforts of Miss Schooley, Miss Jaynes, Miss Lee and Miss Ristine will long be held in grateful memory by those who were privileged to share in them.
Mrs. D. A. Beattie was the first president and opened the first year's work with the following board of directors: Mrs. George Gilman, Mrs. J. B. J. Tuthill, Mrs. J. W. Crider, Mrs. W. C. Curtner, Mrs. T. A. Manning, Mrs. S. B. Squires, Mrs. Arthur Washburn, Miss Mary Helen Post, Miss Ruth Laird Kimball, Miss Frances Schallenberger, Mrs. Dr. Charles Hare, Miss Elizabeth Woodhams, Miss Carlotta Wood. Through the courtesy of the national board, the Association was able to have the services of Miss Julia T. Lee in following up the campaign work and later the directors secured for the general management, Miss Ada B. Hillman and an able corps of department secretaries. Miss Hillman served efficiently for three years and was succeeded by Miss Emma Palmer, an industrial expert. She is the present general secretary.
The beginning of an endowment fund was in a bequest of $500 from the late Mrs. Crummey. Other wills have been made, bearing the Association in mind, in bequests which will increase this fund.
Nothing short of a detailed description of the
various departments of Association work could give any adequate idea of
what is now being done for girls and young women in this
building. It is impossible to estimate the value of this preventive and constructive work in the community, and so notable a beginning points only to enlargement and greater usefulness.
The officers for 1922 are Mrs. D. A. Beattie, president; Miss Lucy Tarleton, recording secretary; Mrs. Cassie Burnett, corresponding secretary; and Mrs. L. T. Smith, treasurer.
Club La France
The Club La France, of San Jose, was organized on October 26, 1902. The object was to get all the French-Americans together for benevolent, patriotic and social purposes. Ever since the organization the club has yearly arranged for and carried out the celebration of the Fall of the Bastile on July 14. In 1920 the affair was held at Eastside Park. In addition to dancing, the singing of the Marseillaise and the Star Spangled Banner, Dr. A. C. Jayet delivered a stirring address, first in French and then in English. The club is caring for six orphans, made so by the European war, and a part of the proceeds of the celebration will go toward the maintenance of the orphans, the rest for the benefit of the French section of the public library. The officers of the society are: Jean Costere, president; Joseph Sabatte, vice-president; Justin Lasalle, secretary; directors, Frank Quement, Jean Verdier, P. Sabatte. During the war the club gave balls to raise funds for French and Belgian refugees, bought Liberty bonds, helped the Red Cross, and spent money freely for other things in aid of the American cause.
The Boy Scouts
The Boy Scouts of America were organized in 1910. In 1916 Rev. Frank J. McLain ininaugurated the movement in San Jose by the formation of a troop of school boys. The public encouragement given induced the formation of other troops so that at the end of four years there were nine troops and one patrol in San Jose and six troops in the country. The oath is as follows: "On my honor I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and obey the Scout law; to help others at all times, to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight." The Scout law imposes these rules: Be trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean and reverent.
In 1917 and 1918, while America was at war with Germany the Boy Scouts of the city and county did valiant work for the various committee, in planting war gardens, selling thrift and war saving stamps, Liberty bonds, Red Cross stamps, and in acting as distributors of patriotic literature. In fact they did everything that was required of them and more. J. H. Rainwater is the executive officer.
Loyal Italo-American Club
The Loyal Italo-American Club was organized in
1919 with a membership of five. In 1922 the roll showed over 600 names.
The organizers were D. M. Denegri, president; D. Campisi, F. Ruiz, Frank
Cavallaro and C. D. Cavallaro. It is the purpose of the club to bring Italians
together and by cooperation instill into their minds a respect and admiration
for American institutions. Love for American ideals should, according to
one of their orators, be theirs always. The officers in 1920 were: D. M.
Denegri, president; Joseph Spinelli, vice-president; R. O. Maino, secretary,
and Paid Cavala, treasurer. On July 11, 1920, more than a thousand people
attended the annual picnic at Eastside Park. The proceeds were used in
fitting up the club rooms.