Lone Mountain Cemetery
Dates of Existence: May 1854 to 1862
Location: between 162 and 170 square acres
Number interred: 7,000 (1862)
Moved to: see individual cemeteries
Notes: this cemetery was divided into the Calvary,
Fellow's, Masonic, and Laurel
"REPAIRING THE CEMETERY ROAD. — The
road leading from Bush street to the Lone Mountain Cemetery, is undergoing
repairs. The sand has drifted over the road in many places, and rendered
it almost impassable. When thoroughly repaired, the red line of omnibuses
will run to the Cemetery on Sundays, by agreement with the road company."
Source: Daily Alta California, 6 January 1858.
"The Cemeteries of San Francisco. . .LONE
MOUNTAIN. Lone Mountain Cemetery, now the chief burial place of San
Francisco, is a tract of 170 acres, nearly square in form, 2 1/4 miles
west of Montgomery street, and three-fourths of a mile south of the Golden
Gate. It was dedicated with public ceremonies on the 30th May, 1854, on
which occasion, Bishop Kip and Colonel Baker delivered addresses, and Frank
Soule read a poem. The first internment there was made on the 2d June and
in that month the total number was 12. After August very few interments
were made at Yerba Buena. At first, the usual
route to Lone Mountain was by way of Pacific street, but in the later part
of 1854, Bush street was opened, and is now used in preference to all others.
The main entrance is on Bush street. The present propriertors of the Cemetery
are J. H. Atkinson, C. C. Butler, and Nathaniel Gray. They think there
is room in the Cemetery to bury all of the dead of San Francisco for half
a century to come. Twenty miles of avenues were laid out through the grounds,
but many of them were not used for years, and they have been overgrow with
bushes. The whole number of persons buried at Lone Mountain is near 7,000.
About 75 persons are buried there monthly on an average. . . .The Chinese
have a vault in which they deposit those corpses which are to be sent to
China. The Protestant Orphan Asylum, the Typographical Union, several
lodges of Odd Fellows, and the Firemen, have their respective lots in which
their dead are to be buried. . ."
Source: Daily Alta California, 22 July 1862.
San Francisco Genealogy
Public Commons License